Today my baby is 18yrs :(:(:(:):(:(old! I remember the excitment of dreaming what the future holds! I am sure she will conquer the world! I know we raised the kids well and gave them a very HAPPY childhood (I did not have even an OK childhood!)With very fond & happy memories that they will tell their children about. She will be moving off to college very soon:(:(:( & I know she will be just fine! But as a mother I will worry & I am crying already! (I cried when we moved my son to the dorm & that is only 8 miles away!) So I will be visiting Washington ALOT in the next 3 years!

I miss my baby allready!! I wish we had a crying Icon-

Thank goodness for e-mail and webcams now........:) I cried like a baby when we took our son to college.........not so much two years later when our daughter left. They are now 33 and 36..........grew into wonderful, responsible adults and have families of their own. Hang in there ! :)

I so now how you feel! My son moved to NC permanently 5 years ago and I still miss him just as much as I did day 1 and I still cry that he is so far away. He is great about calling me 3 or 4 times a week but dinner and a hug is so much better! I only get to see him once or twice a year and it is so hard. Maybe someday I'll win the lottery so that we can make Sunday trips!

Both my kids moved out to college the same year. I sat at the top of the stairs (between their rooms) and cried and cried. I got so depressed I just couldn't stand it. I would "forget" and think I heard them coming down the stairs or opening a door. When I would realize it was not one of them, I'd go into a crying spell again. Finally we sold the house and moved across to another street and I was able to move forward. I am big time attached to my children through my heart strings.

Awwwww, Sew Happy,you'll be OK!

The year our son (younger child) went away to College his sis (older child) went to New Zealand to work for 8 months. Bam!! Patrick was only a couple of hours away, but there was nothing we could do about Jess. I had to resign myself to the situation and have faith that everything would be alright for her. We did go visit her over the Christmas holiday.

Now, both of our kids (28 and 25 ) live in Edmonton, two hours away from our farm, and we see them every couple of weeks in the city or here at home. Our son's girlfriend is from Sweden, so just think what her Mom is thinking!

We never stop loving them, do we?

My ideal situation would be to have our kids and their families living close enough that I can someday be a real Granny and have everyone over for dinner once a week. That's my dream.

Sylvia

empty nest syndrome is the world's best kept secret! grieve a little, then lift your head, open your eyes, and rediscover your world ... where you can come and go as you please (more or less), the mess in the house is YOUR mess (discovered that i made more messes than any of my children), and the refrigerator is ALL YOURS! no more "what happened to my ______?" and remember that we want our children to grow into responsible adults and going away to school is one of the first big steps.

Wow!! I know this time is coming soon for me but I'm in such a different place right now. I Know I will cry when my boys leave home but right now well my oldest is on my nerves and I'm ready for him to go somewhere for a day or two with out me. He's 16 and thinks he knows more than us. That we don't know how to make the right decisions for/with him and of course why oh why would he do his chores when asked, three hours later is still good, right? Ughhh.

My heart is with you. Just did that 2 years ago and I go every other week and go get her and bring her home for the weekend. Can't wait until this one graduates. Now this year she starts clinicals and will be on call at the hospital sometimes 24 hrs at a time so we already know she won't be home for the holidays. I thought it was supposed to get easier when they got older. LOL

We are finally empty nesters after 31 years as of this last fall! It was quiet at first, my dog kind of follows me around all day...but I kind of like that my house stays neat and I can quilt and not worry about a big meal, and I can be much more relaxed with no one else running in and out with their friends...it does have it's advantages. All 3 of my girls live close by and we do see our grandbabies at least once a week, but life is easier now....less stressful...it will get better when you find your new routine.

They still come over and shop my pantry :o and my middle one will sometimes come home late and stay over night and then leave early for work...she says she could move back in and we wouldn't even know it! :D

We have been empty nesters for 4 years. When our oldest went off to college in 2003, we cried, including my DH. The second, it seemed easier, we were relocating ourselves with work. We moved into our new home and two days later we were moving her off to college. Then our youngest graduated from high school, 2007, and our oldest graduated from college. However, that summer she headed to New Zealand to student teach. She was to be gone for 4 months, I thought that was an eternity. So before the oldest left, I had my DH book our trip to New Zealand. So when we took her to the airport, I felt like part of me died. Even though I knew we would see her in less than 2 months. So oldest is gone, then moved the youngest off to college, 20 minutes away. Yes, it was an adjustment having all the kids gone. It was great to go and see our oldest in New Zealand, to know that she was okay and could do this on her own.

Being a parent is hard work, if anyone sees it is easy then there is something wrong with them. But the greatest reward is seeing that they can do this, go off on their own.

Right now our 3 kids live within 45 minutes from home. Yes, my DH and I have adjusted to being empty nesters. We even started an "Empty Nesters Club". We get together with other couples for dinner who are also empty nesters. When you are raising you family, you put all of your energy into your family. Which, I believe you should. But after they head off on their own, you need to make time to connect or reconnect with friends, new and old. The last thing our kids would have wanted was for us to be sad that they had moved on to the next phase of their lives. We are very proud of the adults that our kids have become. Likewise, they are proud of the parents we have become.

Archived