to quilt glide or not to quilt glide?

It's very useful, desirable, even necessary (!) if you are going to do a lot of close detailed work, like lots of microstippling or other fill work. It is not needed for pantos, general freehand work, etc. I don't always use it, but when I have to do a lot of stippling or other fills, I am sure glad I have it!! It enables you to use the stitch regulator while doing small fills, that would normally be difficult to do with the stitch regulator on. If you don't think you'll be doing that kind of quilting, you probably do not need it. But if you do, it will make your life much easier!!

Guest Linda S

Before I got the MM wheels, I thought about it. Now the machine moves so well I can't tell much difference with the stitch regulator on. I don't think I'd spend the money, but that's just me.

I do lots of small stippling, small background fills around applique, etc. Quilt Glide is wonderful for those things. It smoothes out the operation of the machine, so it isn't herky jerky in stitch regulated mode. It give you that second or two to decide where you are going next or to get into a tight space easily without the pressure of manual mode. I wouldn't be without it, and it was worth every penny I spent to have it added to my machine.

If you do mostly E to E or pantos, it may not be for you, but for heavy custom or heirloom, it is almost essential.

FYI on black lights. I don't have the new built in feature but do have a black light (can buy them at Wal-Mart Home depot etc) that I pop in often. Works great for seeing the thread path when you are using light colored thread and it's difficult to see exactly where your stitching is (no black light powder or chalk needed) You can also use it with just regular pounce powder or any light marking tool --won't show up the pretty glow in the dark colors but you can see it much better.

The warnings on the black light powder etc are a bit scary. I have a big jar of it and have only used a tiny bit in about 8 years.

Archived