New to Me.....Quilt Marking Relief... NOW WITH PICTURES at bottom thread

Corey! Jump in here! Corey in Bakersfield has a lot of experience with these pens. She uses her hair dryer with the heat on and goes over the marks will the quilt is still on her frame. Presto! The marks come right out! They just disappear before your little eyes! Of course, I had to run right out and buy the pens, but I haven't used them yet. So far, I don't think any of her marks have come back to haunt her. But then Bakersfield doesn't get down to 14F either.:D

Guest Linda S

Well, if you managed to get it all the way out, I'll eat my hat. I tried regular laundry detergent, synthrapol, retayne, dish detergent, etc., and it never came all the way out. About an hour in the freezer was sufficient to bring it back. I think I'm comfortable using this on my own quilts (as I won't be likely to toss them in the freezer), but I'd still be hesitant to use them on customer quilts.

I guess my question is: what happens years down the road? This is a chemical of sorts so what will the repercussions be in 50 years or so on an heirloom quilt? A utility quilt is not one I would worry about, but an heirloom quilt I would want the best method of marking that will come out all the way.

Originally posted by lindasewsit

ok...question... are you using the pens on material that has been prewashed or not? Or does it not matter?

It's a muslin little actual quilt which I used unwashed fabric and dream puff batting. Dont have time to post picture will do that when I get back. But the verdict is in.

I used two pens by this company. One the pen mentioned in the top photo and when I ran for grocery stuffs I found a highlighter by the same company.

In the wash test both seemed to be gone nothing visable to the eye even with magnify glass. Dried it and still nothing. But in the freezer. The pen popped out just like Linda said. And the dark scribble was also back. HOWEVER....the highlighter design is gone. Nothing.....totally gone. So with further testing maybe that one is the answer. Will post pictures when I get back.

KEEP in mind that I did not have a package with any of my pens when I bought them from a LQS... the back of the package of both say: DO NOT EXSPOSE TO EXTREME TEMPERATURES....<14 degrees F to >140 degrees F.... that information would have been helpful...

My conclusion is this...the pens will make a good marking tool for say Half Square Triangles or something like that...not for design marking....BUT I will more than likely use the highlighter for such as it did wash completely out in my water. Now some who have hard chemicals or a softener may find it different for them...but this what I found in my little 24 hour test.

ALSO once reheated the faint marks disappeared once again. So Linda no hat eating for you, I just wish I had had the package, that information now will be taken back to my quilt shop owner...whom bought these at MARKET in Salt Lake City last month as they were being sold as the newest thing in marking.... I doubt very much she realizes that they are an office product, I know I didn't until I googled to see if there were more colors and how ready available they are, My LQS was told she could only get them by special order...she was taking it as a quilting tool and not a regular off the shelf pen....

1) drawn on with pen on the left and highlighter on the right with a blacked in square on the far right bottom of quilt

table>

2)picture after ironing....NO MARKS at all

table>

3 & 4) picures after washing and freezing...pen on left and black square are faint, but definitely there....highlighter side is GONE....

table>

table>

WOW Bonnie! Thanks for the experiment and letting us all know about these things. When it comes right down to it, there is NO perfect marking tool out there yet. Some of trouble with one type while others get along fine with it. I don't have trouble finding marking tools for darker fabrics, but those lighter ones can be trouble.

Archived