A question I should perhaps have asked before ...........

I have been quilting a while now (18 months) on my longarm, and should probably have asked this before now, or read it somewhere, but it just dawned on me on my latest quilt that perhaps I would have had better results also if I had raised my hopping foot. I noticed that the hopping foot kind of rubbed over the top of the quilt, and I was just interested in if this is normal behaviour, or should the hopping foot hover well above the quilt top.

I have had a few changes with my frame and table set up after moving it, taking castors off, relevelling etc, so I think I am perhaps noticing things I didn't notice before.

I have read about the 2 business card thickness etc, but is this when a quilt is on the frame, or when it is off the frame. I am getting good tension (most of the time) and don't want to mess too much if I don't have too.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Janette

I have read about the 2 business card thickness etc, but is this when a quilt is on the frame, or when it is off the frame. I am getting good tension (most of the time) and don't want to mess too much if I don't have too.

Thanks.

Its actually measured with no quilt, but if you are getting good stitches and all is well with you...I wouldn't mess with it.... IT should be with the hopping foot all the way down, you should be able to slip two cards out with out to much tugging..if they just totally fall out, then you may be a bit to high or if they are pinched to the point you can't get them out of make them budge then you may be to low.

If it works for you then I wouldn't mess with it..

That is true. But where there is a thicker batting involved. The tighter the hopping the more it will push the top and you can cause folds. For very thin cotton battings we were told one business card. They are easy to move so make it what works for you and the type of batting being used.

Archived