Input on Pricing

I have a client that feels I am pricing too high. I am not complaining I just need to see what is averge for this type of quilting.

I'll give what details I remember on her quilt and would you just tell me what your charges would have been? Don't have to put names. I just want to get a feel for an average to see if I am indeed overpriced.

I have a form I send out asking about the quilting done and she said it was beautiful just way too high!

85"x100" Stack and Whack blocks with three borders. Feathers that fit in the centers of the block with some fill in busy dark print (although I don't think it was stipple, more like McTav in larger size) Each border was different design, Vine, wiggle In tiny border and undulating feathers in biggger border. Three colors of thread used.

.03 to .035 approx. I'm assuming you are stitching in the ditch. With back ground fillers throughout it could even be at .04. with an assumption you will have to turn the quilt for the borders. Each quilt is considered individually for me. Be sure and consider you costs, your time and your hard work fairly. Don't undersell yourself or your talents. This is a personal choice for each quilter.

Questions that come to mind that enter into my pricing would be:

1. How much SID was there?

2. Were the feather designs marked or free motion?

3. Were the border designs marked or free motion?

4. For the McTavishing, how big was it?

Like Tammie, every quilt I do is individually priced. A quilt with the exact same type quilting but with no SID would be priced way, way less than a quilt with SID. A quilt with freehand feathers would cost considerable less than one with individually marked feather wreaths. Borders that have to be sized specifically for that quilt, and then marked would cost considerably less than free motion borders.

If I could see a picture of the specific quilt, I could tell you exactly what I would charge and you could compare apples to apples.

What did you charge her? Did she know ahead of time what the price would be?

I am still in the learning stage of my pricing. I will say that whenever the word "custom" is part of a job then the price begins at 2.5 cents per square inch and that price is for stuff that is pretty simple.

Even being new I have already charged someone 5 cents per square inch for some very dense custom quilting.

Again like the others have posted without seeing the quilt and specifics I would not even begin to tell you what I think a fair cost is.

I think many people assume that sending out a quilt is kind of a fixed rate and when they ask for custom work they are often shocked at the increase in price. I think it is always wise to let your customer know what to expect price wise before work is begun.

Oh yes, I forgot to say what I charged her, it was .025/inch with a $5 charge for using three different colors of thread. She had a sheet with my charges and descriptions so could have easily figured.

Judy, very little SID

feathers- spine and outer edges of feather marked in border. the center feathers were freehand

borders were marked or the vine curve marked

McTav was like 3/8 to 5/8 wide and 2.5 to 3 inches long, not tight but not huge

It was one of few quilts I haven't taken a photo of. I was in hurry to get it back to her (two weeks turn around).

Sue: I'm sure your quilting is as good or better than mine! I've had some lucky breaks but don't ever think your quilting is not as good as mine. Remember, you all only see the good ones! :)

I would think that for .025, she got quite a bargain and if I were you, I wouldn't worry about except that you don't want her telling everyone that you're too expensive.

With every single quilt I do, the customer gets an e-mail with the total charge - quilting, batting, shipping, tax -- an exact dollar amount. I ask them to approve the charges and then I will do the quilting. Not sure if that would have helped your situation but at least you could say "you knew exactly what my charges were before I did the job".

She got a real bargain I'd say. You are a "professional" so don't undersell your services. If she likes your work, she will be back regardless of the price. Some just want it quilted and don't care what the pattern is - those folks get meandering or panto. Custom is someone who really wants their quilt to "shine" and they will pay for it!

Stick to your guns gal!

Archived