to tell customer or not?

I just finished my second quilt for my first paying customer. The first quilt turned out perfect. The second one, which I know is a charity quilt, I overlapped two panto rows in five places (in one row) about 1/2 inch. Other than that, it's good - nice stitches and curves. So - I know it's a charity quilt, and initially she was just going to do a meander - I charged her the meander price. So the question is, do I say anything? And if so, what? I've been told by other quilters never to discount. I would have removed the stitches if I knew it was for a gift but it was two rows back and I figured I'd rather do it for free than take the time to do that!

I think it is best to be straight up with people. Just tell her what happened and offer to charge her for only the meander rate or for you to take the stitches out and do it over for the panto rate. It was your mistake and let her decide what she wants done. Being open with her will go a long way to keeping her as a customer.

Did you not see it until you were finished with the whole quilt? If you had noticed the mistake just as you finished the row, it would have been good to rip it and start that row over. I know it is a pain but when people see your quilting you want them to see a grade A job. :cool::cool::cool:

If you only overlapped a half-inch, it isn't the end of the world. After she sees the quilt and if she doesn't notice it herself, point it out without apology or explanation. See what her reaction is. Even if she says it is OK, make the offer for a slight discount--make it a dollar amount, not a percentage--such as "I will feel better if you allow me to take $20 off the quilting fee". She will probably be thrilled. The best thing is to acknowledge the problem and calmly offer a solution--that shows you are a professional. :D

Guest Linda S

Always, always, always tell. Linda's method is a good one. You don't want them finding a surprise later and thinking, "hmmm, why didn't she tell me about that?" Honesty is always the best policy.

All good advice, but again - would she be showing this quilt to a bunch of your "customers?" If so, it may be better to let her know what happened and let her know that you are going to take out the quilting and re-do it as it is your quilting reputation that will be reflected...

Yelp! If she is going to be showing it around I'd rip. We show our charity quilts at guild and sometimes they are voted on and that person gets a bunch of fat quarters. If she is going to do something like that I'd rip. If she is just going to bind it and ship it off somewhere I'd offer a discount like Linda said and leave it. Good luck with whatever you decide. I know ripping is a pain in the boo-tay!

Of course she is going to show her friends- perhaps even "Show & Tell" @ her guild, her mini group, & the local Quilt Shop! If she hasent noticed someone else will & they will probably make sure then everyone else will see it!!! I think I would re-do those rows. Can you take just those out & maybe shrink or enlarge the panto to fix it?

i think you are making the right decision by fixing it.

you don't want your customer, her friends or any others to see your work and not be impressed.

imho - in the long run, it's worth the time & aggravation to preserve your reputation. i would definately tell her what you had to do to make it right, also. that is a story you would like circulating....shows you take pride in & care about your work.

good luck - hope it doesn't take too long.

Very good advice from everyone. The only thing I have to add is be careful with "it's a charity quilt". Even though it's a charity quilt, it will be a treasure to someone. I treat all my quilts alike. Remember, even these quilts are a sample of your work.

Lots of good advice here.

Yes, tell her first if you choose to leave it in. Don't offer a discount (or whatever) until you get her reaction ie don't give away more than you have to.

I would probably have ripped it out when I first noticed it - yes , a pain but worth it.

Fast way to remove quilting stitches - skin the quilt almost up to the overlap. Put in a row of pins just after the overlap, starting wherever you finished quilting - lift the top & batting & carefully cut the stitches between the batting & the backing. You don't want to cut the backing! When you've 'skinned' as far as the pins work from the top just to remove the panto stitches that overlapped, not the row before which was ok before you stitched over it. Clear as mud? Hope you can make sense of it.

Whatever you chose to do - 'Good Luck' & let us know the outcome.

I did that same thing with one of my first customer quilts. She was getting a "special" pricing as I was relatively inexperienced, (and she knew that) - so I just showed her the oops, and told her that was my "humility row" - You can't even notice it unless it's pointed out, and she was fine with that. I think it's always best to let the customer know, and then decide what to do. Honesty is always the best policy.

Archived