How do I know?

I am just about to purchase my first quilting machine...a Millie with Bliss....BUT....as I read your posts, I am beginning to wonder if I can do it after I get it! I have the desire but have never quilted before. Should I begin with pantos or concentrate on free hand?

Are you going to be quilting for others? If so, then I would start with pantos and get very good and smooth with them. But work on some free hand on your own quilts - take some classes from different teachers or videos. There are different techniques and you will find the one that fits you.

In the APQS manual, they will have you practice loopy l's and e's - just practice and practice.

I think everyone is a little scared at first - but just go for it and you will be fine!!!

We bought my Freedom with Bliss & received it just after Thanksgiving. Didn't really have a chance to play-use it till after Christmas. I am totally in "Love" with it. I had never quilted on a longarm before mine. If I can do it, so can you! Like my DH said, "write it up"! You will love it. Yes it takes practice but what in life are you able to do the very first time. Enjoy it & have fun!

I think the best advice is not to be afraid of it....it's just a big sewing machine. Just load up some scrap fabric or something from your stash you will never use and try it out from the front of the machine. Start out with an easy open panto and see how it goes. Just remember the quilt does not go to the person along with the panto paper so they have no idea what the drawing on the paper looks like.

Keep smiling and enjoy!!;)

KathyD

Della, you can DO it!!! It's just scribbling on fabric. It will indeed take practice to get designs that satisfy you - but we've all been there. Just keep visiting these forums and we'll keep you encouraged!!;)

Della,

One of the things that I have found that worked for me was a white board. I meander on the board, erase it and meander again. After a few tries the meander on the board gets better and it makes it easier to quilt it. When I started to take it to the machine I would meander myself into a corner so it was important that I could meander the entire white board without getting stuck in a corner.

Give it a try and see if it helps. The more I doodle the better my quilting gets.

KathyD:P

I'd never done it before either!! It's fun. Start where you are comfortable. Just doodle with the machine on muslin. I doodled on everything (paper) before it got here. Then work on a panto to see if you like it. I'm learning and the people here are so helpful and encouraging.

Della, You have mada a great choice and to have Bliss to start with, you will be quilting in no time.

The stitch regulator makes it a breeze doing pantos but before you stitch a new one, just turn the laser light on and practice following the line, don't try to go slow and stay exactly on the line, moving at a steady pace will disguise any deviations.

The the most difficult thing I found was learning to walk along without jiggling the machine, and remember to breathe and blink or you'll pass out before you get to the end!!

I agree with the girls on auto advance, essential, I have motorized advance but not auto, so I still have to brake but at least I don't have to wind, that will kill your wrists and shoulders.

Good luck and just go for it.

Della, as the others have said, you can do it!! I had only hand quilted when I got my longarm, so it was totally new to me, and only for my personal use, not as a business. Practice, practice, practice, and remember you don't have to be a perfectionist, as my daughter is constantly reminding me!! :-) She also got a long arm at the same time, and is doing wonderfully with it!! You will have a great time, especially with Bliss! Using the white board and doodling are great ways to experiment and train your muscles to get used to the basic motions that make up designs. Also, take advantage of quilting classes-my free basic class with Dawn was great!

We all started at some point with the same fear & excitment rolled together. Then we had our good days where we loved our machines, and also the days when we hated our machines and nothing seemed to go right. That's where the people on list become your best friends. Everyone is very supportive and helpful and you won't feel like you're out on a limb, all alone with your problem. It does take a while to get really good at this, but go into this new adventure knowing and understanding you will need to practice to learn. There are lots of tools that will help you, as well. I would say you need to learn freehand and pantos, but also there are products like Circle Lord long boards as well as numerous other companies who make the long boards, too. They are all good. These make you look like you have already done lots of practicing. Take a look at them and get some more ideas. Good luck with your new endevour.

You will absolutely love it! I have had my machine for 5 years and loving it. I have some pantos, but do not use them. For me, just trying to stay on that line drove me nuts, a little ocd. I love doing free hand, it lets you express your creative side.

Archived