Tennis elbow...

Tennis elbow, or should I say quilter's elbow!!! I have done 2 quilts in a row this week that I used my Triple play rulers for CC's and my elbow is KILLING me!!! Has anyone had that happen to them? I used to have trouble with Tennis elbow a while back when I used to clean houses... but haven't had this much sorness in a long time! I have a new thing!! Quilter's elbow!!! :o

When I quilted full time I used to wrap a small elastic sports support around my arm just above my elbow. It seemed to help alot. I still use it now and then if I'm doing lots of small details on a weekend. For some reason it bothers my left arm more than my right and I'm right handed.

I don't do that much quilting yet to have that problem, but wonder if rulers similar to these might help the stress of gripping so the muscles aren't strained so much. http://www.accentsindesign.com/fineline.html I'm interested in these for my work with George. I may even put peg handles on the couple others I have that I haven't had time to use yet.

My DH has tennis elbow (from lifting boxes at work, not tennis) and finds that using that little sports band on his arm really helps. I also find that when I use that tight fingerless glove (can't remember what it is called) helps my hands not hurt or be tired when I am doing lots of detail work....

I used to get tennis elbow when I played tennis. I'd go to the dr and he'd give me some double strenth meds and it'd be gone in no time. My brother messed around with it until he had to have a shot in the elbow. Don't wait around. The meds they have now will get you done with it. Oh, an don't overdo the Alieve! Not good for the kidneys.

I don't get tennis elbow, but my shoulder aches if I have done a lot of detail quilting. I injured that shoulder a few years ago in a fall, so that is the first place to hurt. I use those fingerless gloves sometimes when I am doing a lot of piecing, too. My thumb joints get to aching. I suppose it is that nasty old Arthritis. :(

It is tendonitis. I have it in bicep tendon and two tendons in the back of my shoulder. I started going to physical therapy and wow did it help. I now do some stretches and exercises every day and it really helps. My sister had it so bad in her elbow that she could no longer pick up a gallon of milk. She is in PT also but she waiting so long to go that her recovery is going to be long.

There are some good videos on utube for tennis elbow.

Carpel Tunnel, tendonitis....they are all things we can get from using the same muscles over and over again, in the same manner for sometimes hours a day..... I have had both in my hand, wrist and elbow from desktop publishing and even quilting. I raised my quilt table so that I wasn't bent over so far as I lean into my work as well as move my off hand along where I'm driving so I feel as quilt....dumb I know, but that's what works for me. My right elbow don't hurt as much as it use to as I no longer have the vertical handles, but I know it was the angle I was holding onto it that was doing the damage...I wasn't getting a full range of motion as I worked and it would cramp and it caused tendonitis. As Sandra suggested stretching before and after did help and now I don't quilt for hours at a time, but an hour and then go do something else for a few before going back....

I have been having muscle pain in my right forearm, and I think it is where I roll the quilt on kind of twists it, but I was getting lazy and not undoing the brakes before rolling it on, so I think I had best stop doing that to make it easier on my muscles. I don't need any other health problems as I am still suffering back problems from last years car accident - yes it is really a year !! off to the pain clinic tomorrow, although I doubt they can help much.

Archived