I have a motif for the center, North, South, East, West and the 4 corners.

BUT, I'm stumped as to what to quilt in the background. McTavishing was suggested, but this is a triditional quilt and I'm afraid that it wouldn't be the right choice.

My orginal idea was to use a small stipple to hold down the background so that the applique pops. I'm worried that it won't be dramatic enough.

Maybe I'm stressing to much. :)

Thank you so much

000_2846.jpg

Personally I think the McTavishing would look very nice-Stipple has allways been a personal favorite-Cross hatching would be OK but I think you may also want to consider echo quilting also.

YES OF COURSE YOU ARE STRESSING TOO MUCH!!! LOL But remember to enjoy each step even the "stessing";)

Originally posted by sewhappy

Personally I think the McTavishing would look very nice-Stipple has allways been a personal favorite-Cross hatching would be OK but I think you may also want to consider echo quilting also.

YES OF COURSE YOU ARE STRESSING TOO MUCH!!! LOL But remember to enjoy each step even the "stessing";)

i agree - definately McT

Guest Linda S

Any sort of background fill would be fine. Yes, it's a traditional style quilt, but tradition is changing. Stippling works, but I have only done it a couple of times because it is Boooooooorrrring! It works, but it's just not as pretty as alternatives.

I agree with Linda! All you want is a fill that shows texture to make the applique and your placed motifs pop. Anything you can do easily and well will work. It's nice to try new things but practice a new design before you use it on something you will keep forever.

McT does sound perfect. You can size it up a bit if your motifs are large enough. Perhaps one echo around the applique and your motifs will further isolate them from the filler.

So what did you finally decide? I'm anxious to see it finished. You know some people really put down stippling but sometimes it is just the right thing. The attention on this quilt should be the applique and you don't want to take away from it. I think any dense fill will make that applique sing. I love McTavishing as it just adds a nice texture but I use stippling a lot too.

That's a tremendous amount of background area to fill. I don't want you to miss an opportunity to take this gorgeous quilt to the next level. Just stippling the whole background seems like a cop out to me. Can you create a way to divide the background into areas so that you could use more than one background fill a la Sharon Schamber or Renae Haddadin? Apologies to Renae if I'm misspelling her name.

Originally posted by Pennyquilts

McTavishing was suggested, but this is a triditional quilt and I'm afraid that it wouldn't be the right choice

I admit it...I am the one that suggested the McTavishing....I love it for backgound fill and this it looks very classic. But you have to do what you feel is right and what you feel comfortable stitching.