Magna-Glide Classics

We will begin producing Magna-Glide "Classics" in L/M this week in light tan and cream. If interested in testing them for us, please email me @ cmeyers@fil-tec.com . Please only do so if you can test them quickly. We are confident that they will run as smoothly as white, but this is jus a precaution. Bobbins will be packed in bulk boxes of 72 bobbins. We will begin adding them to the website one color at a time.

Thank you,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I received 3 cream Magna Glide Classic bobbins to test last week, but was too busy with our quilt show and the fair to get to them. So, this morning I ran a test using Glide & Affinity (from Fil-Tec), and Omni, Brytes & Lava from Superior. TERRIFIC stitches with all threads, using various stitch lengths. I used a 4.0 needle with my Millie. The Towa tension on the bobbins right out of the package was between 200/230 and that's how I used them. I received 3 bobbins and all 3 were exactly the same reading. :):):):):):):) I did my test on dark fabric and used the lighter threads so I could really see the stitching.

I sent in my report and recieved a reply that the colors would be coming in a few weeks !!!!! YAYYYYYY. I like the Delights but the Classics are better for me to use when doing so many charity quilts. I use the Delights for those special quilts. They stitch beatifully, but just don't last very long. I did a loopy meander on a quilt yesterday (twin size) and used almost 3 Delight bobbins. With the Classic, I would have used about half that.

I tested them as well. I even used them on a silk wall hanging, and the stitches looked great. Tension was perfect as usual. Other than the bobbins that came with my milli, I have only used magna glide bobbins from the time I got first used my milli. They are awesome!! The only time I have ever had a tension problem was when I tried to make them "drop", cause I kept reading on the forum that your bobbins should drop slowly. When I finally got that problem solved, I've not had any tension problems. I have never even tried to use my bobbin winder. I'm so spoiled:P

Originally posted by quiltedsunflower

So I'm having terrible tension problems on a batik with King Tut. Will these bobbins solve my problems? I hate to give up the King Tut, a very nice variegated, but if I have to frog again I might loose my mind (or what's left of it).

I was unable to get King Tut to play nice with my Millie and finally gave up. I just did a batik quilt for a lady and used LAVA and it stitched beautifully. I sold my King Tut stash to a friend who has an HQ16 and gets along fine with it.

I used the Magna Glide Delights bobbins with the Lava. The

Delights gave a nice sheen to the stitching on the batik back she chose. But I had tested Lava, Brytes, Omni, Glide and Affinity with the Classics bobbins and they all worked well together.

You have to run your thread much looser for King Tut. Try loosening the bobbin more and then loosen the upper tension until your stitch is ugly. Then slowly tighten the tension until you get a pretty stitch and no breakage on top. Also try running KingTut through either only 1 hole of the pigtail before the tension disk (assuming you have an APQS) or you can go up the first hole and then down the 3rd hole instead of wraping it. I've run King tut with good success but you have to change the tension a lot.

Definately run King Tutt with the upper tension loose almost none on my machine. I also use silicone routinely on any cotton thread. I've used alot of King Tutt but prefer Sulky Blendables as they don't seem to have as much thickness variation between the colors on the variegated so less tension issues, Also not as much lint or nubbies. Haven't had a chance yet to try the Fil-tec cotton varigated.,

I bought the magna classics in 09' and loved, loved them. I had a tan color and have been waiting for them to come out again. I wish I could buy them in bulk of 100 instead of the tubes. Has anyone used them with the premo soft? Has anyone used premo-soft? Is it thinner or thicker than Glide. I love Glide but need something with out the shine. Of course its the weekend and can't call them for advice.

Archived