Quilting ideas needed!! w (Finished Borders Added)

So after another quilt retreat at the beach I have finished this oriental quilt all except the final two borders which are not pieced.

My question is: Is this quilt too busy to do any custom quilting on. It is a gift for my son and daughter in law for their bed, so it will be used but I have also been given permission to enter it in our next guild show which will be March 2012. So I am wondering if it would be a waste of time and effort to do alot of sid, etc.

Or do you have any other ideas of what might be a good fit for this very large quilt. It will be 104 x 112 by the time the last two borders are added!

post--13461906565683_thumb.jpg

Hi, Jeanne,

That is a really pretty quilt! I think I would do some sort of allover in everything except the center, like ginkgo leaves or even a shashiko type design. I'd outline the geisha, cranes and pagoda in the center. Thread color?? Not sure, maybe black or even gold, something that blends with most of the fabrics. It is going to be stunning when it is done. Can't wait to see it!

Depending on the line of thread you use, either an antique gold or what is called straw gold looks great on the oriental fabrics. The only challenge is that it will blend very well with the fabrics. If you are entering the quilt into a show, do custom work. If not, I would do a very simple all over; I've used a double loop in the straw gold on Asian themed fabrics. It gives the quilt texture but doesn't compete with the lovely fabrics.

Most importantly, have fun:)

Lynn

Jeanne,

Nothing so complicated:) By double loop I just meant a double loop meander. While you can see the meander in this picture, it does not show up if you are standing two feet away from the quilt. All you get is a sense of texture. Simple and fast - but probably not show worthy.

Lynn

P.S. I think Doodlebug may have posted a prettier double loop meander a while back.

post--13461906565881_thumb.jpg

I would SID the whole quilt, take it off and rest. Then study a book of sashiko--Cindy Roth, Longarm University has a bunch of rulers/templates. This would be a great opportunity to practice your heart out! It has to be breathtakingly beautiful up close! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Wow! That was the perfect fabric for that quilt!!!!! Let me guess; It is on the floor cause there is not one tall enough to help hold it!!!! Jeanne, it is stunning! It is sure to get a ribbon at your show. I wish you all the luck quilting it out. As big as it is, you may need patience too!!!

Thanks so much, It is very pretty and I want to do it justice, but oh MY, how long is this going to take to stitch all of this in the ditch??? I guess if I am able to do it I will surely become quite good at SID with all that practice.

Syvia, After finishing it last night it was hard even to find a floor big enough to lay it out for a picture and this picture was taken with my cell phone because my internet was down for the night. Hubby is pretty tall but he would have needed someone to hold the other end if I took the picture. My Poor Lenni will be full up as the short side, which is from top to bottom measures 105 inches and the width is 112 inches. I purchased my backing fabric at 3 yds 108 wide thinking that would be plenty, so now I will need to add a strip in there somewhere to be large enough. Well, I guess I have my work cut out for me, so this is the last picture you will get for awhile, as i am not very fast at custom quilting. thanks for all of your encouragement, it spurs me on to GO FOR IT!! Blessings!

Guest Linda S

Wow is that pretty. I think I would SID the whole thing and then do outlining of motifs or fills in your "window" type units. In the straighter bar pieces, I'd do some sprigs of cherry blossoms or ginko leaves. I think those always have an asian feel to them. I can't wait to see it done. Very nice quilt top!

Beautiful quilt!!!

I think everything should be SID. I would outline the designs in hte fabric in the center panel. THe outer blocks I would do various designs such as clam shells, curved cross hatching (I don't think I would do anything with straight lines), Ginkos, and whatever else I could think of in the theme. I would try to give the curved blocks the feeling of an arch, but not exactly sure how I would go about it.

As far as thread, I would use a neutral color that will blend with the fabric to do the SID; something that would melt away and not be noticed. For the rest of it, probably a gold colored thread, but one that doesn't totally "take over" the quilt. Maybe a FilTec Glide, if the right shade could be found. I would not use a real metalic, but would use an embroidery thread in a gold color, that would have a bit of sheen to it.

I can't wait to see what you do with this one!!

Jeanne,

If you are going to do custom, I'd use a contrasting thread. Keep your designs simple and classic. It is a gorgeous quilt. Use a double batt with wool on top so all of your work shows with the texture. If you use the thinner invisible thread (Madeira MonoLon available from Columbia River), it will hardly show for SID. Best wishes -- it is gorgeous. A son is worth the work in my book!

Archived