So much trouble with TUT

A year and a half ago, my machine originally came threaded with TUT on top and a prewound bobbin, so I KNOW it will work with it. I have tightened top and bottom, and then loosened top and bottom and break, break, break! I have about a dozen beautiful cones I am dying to use, but just can't seem to get it! Anyone else ever have this problem, and how did you fix it?:mad:

You know in the beginning I never had any trouble with King Tut. This week I'm fighting thread breakage myself.

I will go back at it when I get home this evening. I changed needle, rethreaded, Adjusted Tension you name it.

Sometimes I just have to walk away and when I come back it works fine.

This can be very frustrating though and I understand how you feel. Please share it when you conquer the BEAST!!!

I always make sure I've done the Bobbin TEST. It seems too that my thread doesn't pull through my tension disk smoothly as it should. I haven't had the time to call as they are closed when I get home. Going to discuss it in Houston when I go.

I always have to use Sewer's Aid (liquid silicone) with King Tut thread. Too much breakage without it. I run lots of lines of Sewer's Aid up and down the cone and re-apply whenever it starts to fade.

I set my BL bobbins to 15 on the Towa gauge--seems very loose, but it works on my machine.

Good luck. Tut thread is so beautiful and getting everything adjusted to use it is worth the bother. I have a chart I refer to where I have listed the "start here" adjustments for combinations of upper and bobbin threads so I don't spend too much time getting set up. Hope this helps!!

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Olympia, Wa.

I haven't had any problems fortunately with running Tut on my machine. Do you have a TOWA bobbin gauge? I find that it helps with the bobbin tension. I always check my bobbin before I start a new quilt and sometimes I check half way through. You would be suprised at how often the bobbin needs to be tweaked.

Have you tried spritzing your cone with water, placing it in plastic bag and putting it in the freezer for a few hours or overnight? I have a friend who swears by this method. I haven't had to try it yet.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Hi Linda in Ramona---

Sorry, I made my own chart from trial and (lots of) error!!! My machine seems to like just about all bobbin threads set between 15 and 23 on the Towa gauge. The thinner the bobbin thread, the lower the number--usually. I write down the thread combo--such as Tut on top and Bottom line in the bobbin and figure out what works. I can send you my chart if you like and you can adjust for your machine.

I have the Towa gauge for bobbin tension and usually do a "pull test" on the top thread---you know, pull the thread through the needle towards the back of the machine and tighten the top tension until it feels right. "Right" for me is as certain amount of resistance and needle flex that I have learned works for me. Rather unscientific but workable.

There are top tension gauges out there for not much money--I think about $17--and they work well.

Cheryl--I have done the freezer thing with nightmare threads before and, in combination with sewer's aid and much cursing, I've managed to make it through to finish a top. Any thread with a lot of breakage issues for me gets used on my DSM. Banished to the sewing room!!!!! Hope this helps.

Linda Rech

Rainy in Olympia

Well, after much frustration trying to get TUT to work, I ripped and swithed to a variegated poly, and it was breaking, too. But this time I looked at the point where it broke, and surprise, surprise! it is CUT very cleanly. I called and talked to Amber, and evidently I have something going on with my hook assembly. I have examined it very carefully, and there are a few burs, but nothing that I can seem to get the emery cloth to. I switched to So Fine, and I am still cutting the thread, but not as often. I am having surgery in about 6 weeks, so I think it may be time for Lily to go for a tune-up.........

But thanks for the advice, I had tried Sewer's Aid with no success.

Caron,

I bought a large cone of King Tut and was having trouble with it too. I had alot of ripping to do and it took me several weeks to find an answer, so I emphathize completely!!!! So glad you got it figured out.

Kathy

PS - I was having problems with YLI monofilament thread breaking on me today, and realized the thread itself on the inside of the cone was just a bad batch. I tossed it, opened up a new one, and all the problems went away.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about any of you but I give up on the King Tut thread! I have an Ultimate II and can not get that thread dialed in at all. I've set the tension so tight that I'm probably 4 threads in on the post and I still get these gigantic loops of thread underneath.

I've tried on 4 different quilts to use different varigated tut but the NEVER work on my machine!

I love the colors but would rather go with a flat So Fine Black that fool around with that head ache again!

For all the time and money I've wasted on the Bobbin Tension toy, the the hours spent frog stitching and the frustration of holes in batik fabric....it's so not worth it!

Sorry that's my rant.....

Bethvandeven.....I hear your pain, but don't take all your anger out on the machine....its sometimes has to do with to much or not enough humidity.

I have a ULT II and there are times I can put on a cone of TUT and it will not for the life of me play well, but the next day it flies though like it was not a problem the day before. I totally think that the Dritz company should give me stock certificates for "Sewer's Aid" I go though tons of that in a months time...sometimes even as many as 2 bottles....and that stuff goes a LONG WAY. I personally think it should come in quart jars so I can dunk the whole cone into it.....its seems the more you get it wet with this stuff the better it works....

Try again with "Sewer's Aid" and it might make a difference for you....there isn't anything more painful than something that doesn't work right......OH, and the tension needs to be rather loose for TUT....when the thread is threaded properly, you should be able to pull the thread through the needle rather fast.

Good Luck...I hope it works for you...

The humidity thing is so true. We are humid here in Washington most of the time. Last week I was using Tut on a batik and it was working like a dream. The next day we had a severe cold snap--19 degrees and no humidity. Guess what?? Break, break, break even with sewer's aid. Arrrgghh! I truely believe now. Give the freezer thing a try and also the sewer's aid. Good luck!

Linda Rech

Olympia, Wa

Thanks for the encouragement ladies!

Linda I'm in Seattle so I know what you mean about the weather! This last weekend I got two twins done on Sunday down in my basement while it just rained, rained rained!!

Bonnie, I've tried everything on the tension and the sewers aid doesn't really help the problem I'm having, it's not breakage it loopage.....way too loose on the bottom....it looks like a turkish looped rug on the back and I can't get it to stop. I've tried prewound bobbins, bottom line, so fine, made bobbins from the top thread and used the TOWA to keep the peace and nothing works........even changed needdles and the spring on the tension disks.........

Honestly my machine has started to loom on my conscience like an expensive. My wonderful husband just pats me on the back and gives me his support.

I sincerely hope that the thread problem abates with the tread change as I've purchased a hartley fence, Myrna's book and want to do spirograph type designes and have fun with the machine instead of wanting to stab it with a pair of scissors.

Beth

Beth,

I also have an Ultimate II and I have good days and bad days with King Tut thread. Try bottom line in your bobbin and try threading the top thread guide through just the top hole and the one above the tension disk through just the first two. It works for me with that thread. You may have to experiment with the threading, but I hope you can get it to work. Also, what batting are you using. When I use poly I get loops on the underside, but not when I use Quilter's dream.

Beth, you said the thread is "way too loose on the bottom" and that you have tried prewounds, etc. When you see loops on the bottom, that is usually from the needle thread, which means your top tension is too loose. Try tightening the top tension and see if that works.

Patty

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that anybody could be having trouble with King Tut. It's my #1 go-to thread on the shelf. I'd use it in every quilt if I could. My favorite combination is So Fine! in the bobbin with Tut on top. If I use a heavier thread like PolyQuilter on top I like to balance that with Tut on the bottom.

I've had problems with other threads breaking until I got the tension right. When using the Rainbows and Highlights I put liquid silicone on a cosmetic sponge in the first thread guide above the spool (where you sometimes see people using a cotton ball) and that helps smooth things along. I'll also put some silicone on the wound bobbin after it is in the case, when I'm using those types of threads.

And, if absolutely all else fails you still have other options. I bought several spools of thread from a new quilter in our area who just didn't prefer a type of thread she had bought quite a lot of at a show. I was happy to get it. The other is that Superior Threads guarantees all their threads and maybe you should give them a call to discuss it with them.

Good Luck ~~ Eva H.

Sorry Beth, I've had my head in a quilt the last couple of days and haven't been here much.

How far out do you have the tension with Tut I find that I have about a 1/16th of an inch of the black screw outside the crome wheel...this actually is pretty loose as I have had to come in further with say signature or other threads from A&E....which is most of your regular sewing threads.

When I first started to use my LA I had never gone to a quilt show...there weren't many on the west coast 10 years ago so I didn't know about the good threads. I started out using regular surger cones and all colors of Coats and Clark threads. I learned really really fast that playing with the tension was something I needed to do with each thread and sometimes each spool of the same dye lot.

Both Teresa and Patty were correct with other things to get you back up and running. Some of the thicker threads do not need all the tension loops....by you playing you will find the correct combination for your machine. I have learned that not all ULT II's are exact....some are more tempermental than others. You may have one of the toucher ones.

And Oh, Eva, thanks for the tips with the Rainbow threads, that is one that I have always had a problem with.....my hook seperates the threads, and this tip should solve that problem, thanks.

Beth....if all else fails...there are the techs that will have way more suggestions and maybe they can walk you through a few other things. Good Luck if you haven't already solved it...and Sorry again for not being here.

Curses! Just kidding, but guess what? I pulled some old spools out of the drawer this morning for a certain quilt because I loved the look for this specific quilt. Break, break, break! It's a beautiful rayon thread that is really not meant for LA quilting, but after a couple of frustrating rows, I think I'll stick with it. If it's the look you want, then hang in there until the very end -- sometimes the end of your patience!

Bonnie, I think I know the reason we have to work with the Rainbows and Highlights, even Bottom Line a bit differently sometimes. It's the "Tri-Lobal" construction. If you pull it through your fingers you can feel the extruded poly threads wound around each other. It makes for a beautiful thread that really throws off light, and captures color from your quilt top too.

But here's my theory: I think the construction, picture a coarse heavy rope with the seperate thicknesses wound around each other, causes a sawing action on the thread it is working with. Doesn't mean it has to be a problem. Just something to take into consideration. A little bit of silicone lubrication works just fine for me and I put the Rainbows through just two of the holes before the tensioner and I loosen the tension as well. More for Rainbow than even King Tut. Tut is heavier but smoother.

Never give up on a beautiful thread! Or maybe it's, "beauty before brains" because sometimes I wonder "WHAT was I thinking!" ~~ Eva :D

Thanks to all but I'm not having breakage problems and I've tightened down the tension to four or 5 turns to the machine so I have the treads on the spool holding the disk exposed between 4 or 5 ribs.

The batting has been constantly changing as well as the tops. I've just had the most sucess with bottom line or so fine......Loops on the back are my biggest problem.

I'm going to try Chickenscratch's suggestion by passing some of the additional loops but I only see this ending badly as to loose of tension is the problem.

beth

Beth, I still think you need to crank on the tension some more. If you are getting loops on the bottom. Does your needle flex some to the back when you pull the thread toward the back?

In my opinion, which may not mean a thing, :P bypassing some of the holes in the guide will actually reduce the tension on the needle thread.

If I am understanding your rib analogy correctly, then mine only shows 3 - 4 ribs. Don't be afraid to tighten the tension alot, even till you get some thread breakage, then back it off a bit. These tensioner require alot more turning than the ones on a domestic machine.

Patty

Patty

Norece, You have many colors of Tut (a whole cabinet-full). Which ones do you find yourself using the most? I want to order some more, but not sure what colors to get. I have the rainbow one, the baby colors, a pink/purple/blue one, and one that is all shades of pinks. What else would be good? How about the solids? I've been looking at the very pale sand color.

• 2 months later...

I just happened onto this group of messages regarding King Tut thread as I have been battling breaking thread and some tension problems this past week-end. I have the tension thing under control I think...however, the King Tut has sure been a pain.

Today I took it off and tried some Perma Core and also Sew-Fine.

No thread breakage at all! Now, I've used King Tut in the past on another quilting system (not Ultimate II)--- and never had this problem---or at least not been able to resolve it some way. I hate to give up on using it, but don't want to have to pamper this thread to get it to work.

I would like to know how you all feel about Sew-Fine. That is what APQS sells in their catalog...it doesn't say "sew-fine" on the page...but, that is what one of the customer reps told me it is.

I could just as easily use Perma Core too as it ran well, and is a bit less costly.

I could easily give up King Tut too as it's pricey and if it's going to be cranky, it's just not worth it to me to use it.

Archived