Sign in to follow this  
sewidahoquilts

Reposting Design Help Request for SW Quilt

RE-POSTING HELP REQUEST: Hope the pictures are bigger!

Hey all, sorry to ask for suggestions when I've been absent for so long. Economy so bad here I haven't had any customers for months. Now I do and look at the complex top she brought me. I'm excited for the challenge and Lord knows I need the work. I want to give her a super quilting job. My customer didn't make this quilt, she purchased it from the fella that owns and operates the local Quilt Shop. He asked her to enter it in next year's Quilt Show. So, in order to maintain/establish my reputation, I need to make it really special (and quilt show quality). I'm having some difficulty deciding how to handle these design elements. My customer doesn't want stitch in a ditch around each element, she wants something to accent and unify the sunbursts. I'd kinda like to use the same if not similar quilted design for each unique area, ie; center medallion, surrounding sunbursts, border elements, etc. but I can't figure out how to bridge the color gradations in order to group them without denying their individual dazzle. If the areas were larger, I can envision how to stitch them but these are quite small, not really enough area to stitch down and back. Her decor theme is Western. Leather furniture, Indian Blankets, Baskets and such. Her home is very large and beautiful, rustic. This quilt will hang on an Entry/Accent wall above eye level, about level with a landing balcony. I am pretty blown away by the intricate nature of this design. Also I feel it needs some unique design motif in the solid Turquoise areas, something reflecting if not echoing the sunburst motifs. I look forward to your creative genius. HELP!!! If I wasn't so tickled to have this opportunity I'd be on the edge of panic.

https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" width="400" height="267" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F109251040698660565505%2Falbumid%2F5629350565152979361%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26authkey%3DGv1sRgCKP8mbyc05qK6QE%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

Make Thyme to Stop & Smell the Roses,

Dixie Lee

982d8da73da2a9820d3eae887901439a.png

Stitches of Thyme

phone/fax: 208-257-3419

Millie-fleur my Girl

sewidquilts@ctcweb.net

Dixie Lee

Can you re-post any of these separately. I'm only getting them as a slide show and that's not enough time to look properly at the piecing to get ideas.

Anne

Anne

Anne Harmon 802 876 7535 Harmony Quilts & Designs harmonyquiltsvt@gmail.com 2005 APQS Millennium Authorized APQS Dealer

Dixie Lee

I had another look at you SW quilt. Bear in mind that I am not an expert custom quilter. I've done very little and only on my own quilts but.... here are some of observations.

* It's a lot of straight lines. I usually follow the Amish guidelines - straight line piecing = curvy quilting/ curvy piecing/applique = straight line quilting.

* reflect the sunbursts in the border by stitching the same shape in the blank areas of the border

* traditional feathers probably wouldn't work in those blank areas but how about a feather that is more like a cactus? Don't have an example - just an idea

Let us know what you do in the end.

Anne

Anne Harmon 802 876 7535 Harmony Quilts & Designs harmonyquiltsvt@gmail.com 2005 APQS Millennium Authorized APQS Dealer

Your customer may not want SID, but I think you will need to do some around the large motifs to make them pop. Have you checked any of the stencil sites for SouthWest ideas? Can you divide up the large blue corner area - maybe radiate a quarter sun from each corner with curvy rays going toward the star? I think the outside corner units need filler around each one to make them pop. McTavishing of some type? or just echo the shape and pull the rays into another design?

You could use a slight gold on the blue, not to compete with the centre design, but to have a secondary accent on your quilting. NewYork beauties have lots of points - are there any ideas there for this one?

I would stick with SW theme and fillers with lots of points. Sue Patten has some great ones in her books.

Good Luck, will look forward to see the completed project.

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

www.artisticquiltdesign.wordpress.com