Best batting

My studio is well stocked with rolls of Hobbs. (Okay most of it is stuffed under the bed, up in the attic and over in the cabin, but it's available!)

*80/20 in natural and bleached white are used most often.

*Polydown is wonderful. (I've had Soft & Brite which is a very firm poly batt but I think the Hobbs product is much better, "silkier" and not likely to beard through.

*Gotta have an ALL Cotton of course.

*100% Wool is incredibly popular and worth having in your studio. You may have to do a bit of telling to sell this at first but once the word gets around, quilters really like having it as another option. It's a bit poofier for those who like that look, but it's really cool to quilt down for a faux trapunto look too. I hear lots of show quilters really like it for the fact that the batting doesn't hold a crease after quilts have been folded for shipping.

*LOVE the new Tuscany Silk batting blend. It's a bit spendy but well worth having around for that very special project.

The local quilt shop sells Quilters Dream. Therefore I have customers bringing that to me quite often and I've never had any problem with it, although I still prefer the Hobbs. Hobbs is easier to handle without pulling puckers as you adjust the batting. Customers also bring in bags of Hobbs both 80/20 and Wool they've picked up at the not-so-local discount store, and yes, they are compressed and need to be fluffed in the dryer for about 5 minutes before they can be used. (Usually I throw those bags in my closet and pull the same amount off a roll - time is money, and if I ever run short on a roll I'll have those for back up.)

I'm not seeing as much Warm & Natural coming to my studio as I did in the past. They used to sell it by the yard at Wally's. Heard their fabric department was shrinking or closing, so maybe they've done away with it there.

Customers depend on you to guide them in their choices so it pays to brush up on the information available.

Happiness. ~~ Eva H.

Archived