What's up??? Needle keeps falling out!

I am working on just a simple stippling quilt. My needle has fallen out now, 3 times! What's up? I am making the screw is as tight as it can go ... without stripping it!! anyone ever had this problem and how did you deal with it! I have only had it do this once before a long time ago! But this is 3 times in a 60x60" quilt!!! help!!

Lyn, Hi! thanks for responding! I don't have a new needle screw... hummm... there is nowhere around here to get one either! I'll try the treading from the opposite side! Thanks! I didn't even know that it had a whole on the other side till I looked after you said that!!:D thanks, Lyn and Jeri!!

Linda even if it stays in for now get a new needle bar screw because that one is on its way out!

Had the same thing happen a couple of months ago. The replacment screw I had, had too long of a shank and caught on the thread.

I ended up buying some hex head screws from Quilttech that tighten up with an Allen key instead, they have a sort shank.

Lyn

I had the same issue as Linda a couple of weeks ago. My husband suggested, mechanical engineer, that I remove the needle, and screw the screw in all the way. Remove the screw, almost, then insert the needle and tighten the screw. He said that sometimes "burrs" will occur, and that this is one way to remove them. I have not had my needle fall out since I did this.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Pennyquilts

Hope you got it figured out Linda, I'd be no help at all. I've never had it happen, but now I know what to do if it ever does. :)

Yeah you can call me and then you go to the post office in a couple of days to get it. All reps should have simple parts like this on hand. So call your rep and see if she/he has one on hand.

Linda: I like Lyn, have an allen screw needle clamp. Bought it from Quilt Tech too. When tightening the screw now, I don't have to worry about the screwdriver slipping. I put the allen wrench in the socket, and it will stay there. I can use both hands to position the needle, then just turn the allen key to tighten it down. Get lots of torque with the key as well. Good luck. Jim

Archived