How are you coping with the heat?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Winter here & I hate the cold!

Give me 100 any day!

My heating bills are enormous & it doesn't even snow here. Doing an Alaskan cruise in September & I am actually too worried about

how cold it will be to get excited!

Bring on Summer

:cool:

A/C what a wonderful invention...thank goodness! I am still out in the 90 plus heat a few times a day for about 2 hours...it is bad. Got to water the trees I planted in June, the garden, the grapes planted in May. I haven't gone for my daily walk, I walk about 1 hour each morning, but it is just too humid.

Vicki, I love the cartoon.

Well, our temps were at 100 yesterday with the heat index at 118....now that is just WRONG! I find myself thinking why did we ever leave Alaska? I have had company that has spent the last 3 days taking the train up to DC and walking around in this but not me! No sir! I don't do heat well! So I am comfortable in my basement with AC (set at 74, and two small fans going as I sit and quilt.....that is how I plan to cope with this...we are hoping to see an end to it by Monday! They say we should hit 103 actual temps today.......(I feel like someone just threw water on me and I'm melting!!! :D)

We finally got some rain overnight and it is about 10º cooler. So, lower 90s for the next couple days and then back down into the 80s for more normal July temps. It will be downright pleasant to endure 85º instead of 105º. We have humidity with our heat, so you just fill like a limp dishrag. I had to bring two potted plants from the West side of the house to the SE side because the sun was just so hot. I couldn't keep enough water on them. Not plants on that side of the house next year !

Our temps started to rise last Saturday (7/16), along with the humidity. Thursday it was finally "decent" out 88 degrees and very little humidity. We had temps at 100 or above, with the heat index hitting 113 - 118. It was very nasty out. When I got up on Sunday - Wednesday, all of my window had so much condensation on them.

I really hope this is the last of it for us here. Stay cool everyone!

Yesterday we had a break from the heat but the temps are going up again today. My studio has a small A/C but this summer it just hasn't been enough! The temps with the high humidity are just too much.....I even loaded a Christmas quilt to work on and it did not help me cool down at all!!!!!

It is 93 here already and I'm not sure what the heat index is up to. I had to take MIL for tests this morning and she gets in the car after it sat in the heat and tells me she's cold and the ac is too cold! She put on a sweater and I did NOT turn down the AC. Between hotflashes and the heat I feel like I'm melting!

I have my friend Sue visiting from Ridgewood NJ. She's come for a respite from the heat. Ha ha! We have no A/C anywhere and we are quilting in my quilt studio where it is at 89F with three fans going, blinds down and a little cross breeze....... Time to re-hydrate..... It might be cooler outside in the shade???

It is officially 102 degrees ----heat index 119 degrees in South Central Pennsylvania right now! My mom is 87 years old and lives alone. Yesterday, her central air conditioning stopped cooling. She had a new heat pump installed 5 months ago for somewhere around $5,000.00. Wouldn’t you know it failed on the hottest day we have had this year! Thank goodness, we have one of the standing portable air conditioners that we took over to her house to use last night. She was confined to the family room over night and most of today. It would have been so much easier if she would come home with us but she was determined she would be fine. I felt so bad for the repair man because most of her air conditioning unit is in her attic. I have no idea how hot it must be up there. He got it running after 2-3 hours and has to come back to make permanent adjustments next week when it should be a little cooler for him to work in the attic. The 5 day forecast will be in upper 80’s to mid 90’s. After this heat wave, it should feel like fall. Keep cool!

Becky

Originally posted by Primitive1

So now it is actually 100 and heat index at 127! Ever being the science minded person....I"m putting an egg out on my deck to see how long it takes it to cook...

so how long did it take? I was going to MIL out on the hood to see how long it took for her to cook but I relented! LOL I couldn't believe she thought the car was cold after it sat in the heat for 2 hours. I felt like a piece of chocolate that was melting.

Heidi - :D:D, I wonder if MIL knew how close she came to being cooked! I left it outside for an hour and it ended up in the shade at that time of day, the egg had started to cook but not all the way, the PAM I sprayed in the pan did bubble so in the shade I think it was on the way....

Our news in DC was showing someone leaving a frozen pizza out on the sidewalk and the news guy actually took a bite after 10 mins and said it was cooked all the way through (Now I'm thinking about all the germs on that sidewalk and wondered how he feels today?)

Heidi - :D:D, I wonder if MIL knew how close she came to being cooked! I left it outside for an hour and it ended up in the shade at that time of day, the egg had started to cook but not all the way, the PAM I sprayed in the pan did bubble so in the shade I think it was on the way....

Our news in DC was showing someone leaving a frozen pizza out on the sidewalk and the news guy actually took a bite after 10 mins and said it was cooked all the way through (Now I'm thinking about all the germs on that sidewalk and wondered how he feels today?)

Haha I'm sure she has a clue that maybe I was thinking it! LOL She is such a royal pain. She usually starts with her attitude within minutes and only with me. She is going to be in for a rude awakening when I won't take or do stuff for her anymore. I'm not going to be abused. I'm tired of the attitude and have no patience for it. The whole reason I had to take her is because now that she is on her own she is eating all the wrong things and her intestines are inflamed again. More tests, more doctors appointments and all could be avoided. So frustrating!

LOL I wouldn't want to eat pizza off the sidewalk either!

Oh that MIL....so she hasn't changed a bit!

Nope not one little bit but you know what I don't have to see her every day either and she sure isn't making me want to see her much at all! I hung up on her last week because she wanted to argue with me and I told her I didn't have time for that. I was very proud of myself!

Well today we worked in the heat for about 6 hours. I had 8 yards of mulch delivered on Friday for my gardens. We've worked every night this week on weeding plus last weekend. We went out this morning to finish the weeding. Bless my mother because she came over to help too. I tried my best to keep her in the shade and far away from where I was. :P:P:P Love her but boy having somebody tell you what you should wear, how you should dig, what tool you should use and on and on gets on my nerves, especially when I'm hot. We finally got the bushes in the back trimmed and all weeded and got the inside of the pool area mulched before we cried uncle. Thankfully we could jump in the pool to cool off which I did in my work clothes because they were already soaked! Tomorrow will be another day of mulching but it is supposed to be 10 degrees cooler. I hope so. The sun got brutal by 3:30 and we'd had enough. We still have plenty of gardens to go.

Nancy I'll try to get a few pictures tomorrow. My gardens used to be beautiful and then they got out of control. Last year we fought the weeds and couldn't get time in the gardens because of MIL. This year we've been fighting all summer trying to get them cleaned up so we could mulch. We decided enough and we're getting them mulched no matter. Not many flowers this year but I'll plan more next year. The roses are not in bloom at the moment but they should be in a week or two.

Guest Linda S

It's warming up here. It was 85 today. I actually had to put the A/C on in the studio (it's my old attic), but the rest of the house is great. Haven't even put the bedroom A/C unit in the window this year. 85 tomorrow, then back to the 70s by the looks of it. Summer just doesn't want to get here. Dips its toe in every now and then, and then backs out!

We finally broke through the extreme heat wave here in Iowa. Right now we are getting some much needed rain. I hope it rains all day even though the thunder woke me out of a very nice sound sleep at 5 AM! :(

It's looking to be more normal July weather for the next week or 10 days at least. Those 100+ days with high heat indexes were brutal .

Archived