What do you say when......longarm?

What do you say when people ask you if you have a longarm? I love exactly what George does. I love to feel the fabric, and I love that I can separate the seam slightly and get a perfect stitch in the ditch, and I don't feel the need for any more stitch/speed regulation than we have. However, I feel like people are asking me whether the machine is doing all the work because they think I can't possibly be doing the beautiful quilting I am doing on my own. What do you say when they ask you if you have a longarm?

Am I just being paranoid? Maybe the answer is to just make the best quilt we can and not worry about it, except for making sure any local judge understands the situation--maybe by including a picture of George with your entry. I haven't had any problem, judge-wise, but I can imagine it, at least with a local judge, maybe at the county fair.

By the way, it's a little hotter than hell here in New Mexico; in other words, normal.

Thanks for your opinions.

Rita

I am sending you cool thoughts from 80 degree Washington, Rita.

When they ask if you have a longarm, truthfully answer that you do not. You own a fabulous sit-down machine that happens to be larger than a DSM but is used in the same way. No computer (though if your quilting skills make people think you do have a computer--BRAVO!), just your great hands and brain working together. On your entries at shows, state "freemotion quilting done with a sit-down mid-arm--no stitch regulator and no computer" and really confuse those judges!:P

Guest Linda S

Rita - No matter what folks think . . . trust me, they all need a bit of education . . . you just tell them that any sort of quilting takes a tremendous amount of work. We do it because it is what we love . . . the feel of the fabric, the stitches, the satisfaction of a project coming out the way we like it, and knowing that the recipient will love it. I DO now have a computer on my Liberty. Having just finished my first quilt on it -- a 48" x 48" overall meander that took me quite a while to do -- I can tell you that's not easy either! I'm getting the hang of it, but it all takes knowledge and artistry. You do have a big machine, and you have my admiration. I quilted a couple of twins and a couple of queens on my DSM before buying my machine, and my neck and shoulders still shudder at the thought!

P.S. Greetings from Eugene, OR, where it is 58 degrees and sunny as I sip my coffee this morning. We're heading for the 80's today, but I'll take that over the rest of the country any day!

Hi Rita:

I didn't realize there was a George in NM...where are you located? We have 3 George owners here in Tucson & one more just south of town.

Technically, George IS a longarm machine (I believe the top size for a mid-arm is 18"). When people ask me if my quilts are made with a longarm, I tell them that I own George...a sit down, push through longarm machine which is fixed in a cabinet just like a domestic machine. I let them know that I am still moving the fabric, not moving the machine the way most people think of longarm quilting. I haven't been asked if I have a computer or a stitch regulator but I do volunteer that one of the big prize winners at Houston last year was quilted on a George ;-)

Problems defining the machine only arise when SOME quilt show entry forms ask about the type of machine used for the quilting. Fortunately, most of them now say something about a 'track mounted system' so our answer to that is clear. You just keep on doing your beautiful, hand-guided, non regulated stitching on George...we get it! And we'd love to see some photos when you can share them. Best, Nancy in Tucson

Guest Linda S

I think some of the bigger shows now (MQX, MQS, etc) specify "stand-up" or "sit-down" for machine quilting. It makes it a little easier to define. I've seen some work done on sit-down machines that could blow me right out of the water. Very talented folks move their paper under the pen instead of the pen over the paper!

I too have a George, and I classify him as a long arm in a cabinet. If we only call moving the machine long arm quilting, then we need to include all those dsm that sit on a frame and get moved, also.

I do a similar classification when people talk about free motion quilting. All my George work is free motion. I am moving the quilt freely to create the design, even if I am following a marked design. I don't figure free motion quilting as only stipple/meander forms.

George is a longarm that is not on a track system. It's technically a longarm head except it is mounted on a table like a sewing machine.

I guess you could say it's a hybrid! :P

Anyway, regardless of how it's mounted (on a track system or on a table) it's the END RESULT that is important. So, you just continue to be proud of the beautiful work you do.

Go pat George on on the head for me and tell him he's good boy. ;)

Hi Everyone!

Poor George sometimes suffers from an identity crisis, for sure. You are right in that technically he is a long arm machine, but the fabric is hand guided, just as a majority of the long arm machines themselves are still hand-guided (as is a sewing needle used by a hand quilter:))!

Just to keep you George owners in the loop, the new interchangeable foot we will soon be debuting will work for George, too. it would require you to do a little "field work to get your current foot out and the interchangeable foot in, but you would then be able to use one of the George feet we are developing (shallow open toe foot, tall template foot--so that you can use all of the guiding rulers stand up quilters use, or tall open toe foot). I have even developed a ruler that helps you piece with George!

Great things are coming and we will keep you posted!

Well, the question was "What would you say," so, I'd say, "George is my new fellow! He is the only other fellow my husband allows me to see! He is so faithful and loving and does his best to please me! He brings to me beautiful things and he and I enjoy the same hobby! We set George up in a spare room and he seems to like it. He doesn't look a day older than the day he moved in. You must come over one afternoon and let me introduce you to George!" ;)

Sylvia, that is so darn cute, what a nice way to put it:)..I just call mine George, and most of the people in my life know what I am talking about--except they think I named him--they are very surprised when I show the machine to him, and his name is right there.

So I don't think I have ever refered to my machine as a longarm..I just say I have a quilting machine, then go on to explain about "him" and what "he" can do. Many people ask questions and are very intrigued by the whole concept of this machine.

George has never made it past the front room, I threw the couch out to make a space for "him". It is safe to say, that he is the focal point in that room:D

Judy

Archived