NQR - closet related

You ladies are awesome! I am trying to get back to my size 6, too. Now I have friends that say "Oh, you don't need to lose weight!" But I do, I am so uncomfortable. And I refuse to buy bigger clothes! I did clean out my closet when we moved, though.

Sandra, good for you. Sounds like you are doing great. I am proud of you for making such a difficult decision. One of my best friends is considering the surgery. I hope she has a great outcome like you!

Guest Linda S

Congratulations Sandra! Having weight loss surgery is a big decision. I never had any problem losing weight -- it was keeping it off that was the big problem. Granted, I do have some hormonal issues that make it hard for me to lose -- hypothyroidism and hypoglycemia -- but if I stuck to lean protein and salad I could get the weight off. My family has a long and horrible history of heart disease, and I didn't want to be another statistic. When I reached 260, I couldn't bear it any longer and asked my doctor about WLS. I guess when he said, "Yes, that might be a good option for you," is when it hit me that I really WAS that obese. I'm glad you got the VSG - you now have more of your normal anatomy than I do. Unfortunately, my hypoglycemia was worsened by the surgery (I had gastric bypass), but, as long as I eat healthy food, I'm fine. I take medication to block carbohydrates (they either make me very sick or put me to sleep), but I tend to avoid anything white now. Even with the blood sugar trouble, I feel so much healthier and happier. It was worth it!

Thanks for this thread. It seems to be a struggle for many of us at all different sizes and ages, myself included.

I happened to catch an ad for Rachael Ray show today about our "muffin top" and weight frustrations. So I made sure to check it out. There was a doctor/researcher talking about Syndrome W that seems to hit many women around/after age 40 or so. She mentioned high insulin levels (but still in the normal glucose test ranking), waist gain, looking like we are pregnant (when we definately aren't!), and some other clues. It makes me seriously consider getting my doctor to do a glucose tolerance test.

Here are a list of some of the signs/concerns for it:

Evidently the symptoms are:

1. Gaining weight for no apparent reason while you are still physically active

2. Gaining weight around your waist instead of gaining all over as would be the normal way people gain

3. Blood Pressure creeping up

4. Bad cholesterol creeping up

5. fatigue (which I just figures comes with weight gain)

6. Elevated insulin levels even tho blood glucose levels were normal

Hopefully if anyone has these concerns this might be of benefit for you.

Way to go Sandra! My daughter is considering the surgery. I am 5'8 and my problem was always the opposite. I had trouble putting weight on until after I turned 50. Candi is only 5 foot 2 and takes after her fathers side of the family. I always ate twice as much as her and 10 times more sweets and junk... she has always been very active where I am not. It just goes to prove that it isn't always about your diet and exercise. I weighed 115 when I was 49 and I weigh 150 now at 56. That is a 35 pound weight gain. I am a size 12 or 14 and am very happy with that. I have gotten rid of each size of my clothes as I outgrew them. My size hasn't changed in the past couple of years so I guess I have hit the spot I am supposed to be. It has broken my heart to watch my beautiful daughter struggle with her weight over the years. It was especially hard for her because I struggled to put on weight. It is to the point that her health is in danger now so she is thinking about the surgery. It is not something I would encourage or discourage her to do. I have always just wanted her to feel good about herself no matter her size. I am glad to hear that your surgery went so well, I have to admit that it scares me a little for Candi to have it.

Congratulations Sandra! I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I know several people who have had weight loss surgery, and they all did extremely well. They all lost down to a size they were happy with, and have maintained it for several years now. All of them told me personally that they were very happy they had the surgery done, and none of them had any regrets. Only one person told me they had any complications, but even she said she was still glad she had the surgery. Yes, she was quite sick until they solved the complications, but she was still happy. Anyone considering this surgery has to make their own decision. My only concern is that they make that decision in an informed manner. If someone is well informed about the risks, consequences, and possible outcomes, and decides to go ahead with the surgery, I support them 100%.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now. I know I sound like an infomercial, but I have no connection to any surgeon or weight loss program. It's just that I have seen first hand the incredible difference this surgery can make in a person's life, health, and happiness. I've also heard all the criticisms aimed at those same people because they couldn't lose the weight by themselves through more conventional means.

Sharon, you are exactly right! Research as much as you can. I went to two different surgeons and was not happy. I love the surgeon I chose. I don't care if I am a size 6 or 16 -- my main goal is to be healthier and to reduce and/or eliminate my meds. My daughter has a friend that had the surgery about 2 years ago and her main goal is to be a size 2. That is not a good reason to have the surgery and she still has trouble b/c she does not follow her doctors orders.

It is a very personal decision and yes there are people who look down their nose at me. I just tell them that until they have educated themselves as much as I have about WLS there is no need to have a conversation with me. I get tired of just smiling and moving on.

The research is showing that 78% of the people who have WLS are going into diabetes remission. This is a much better statistic then the meds. Every research but interesting.

I hope you know that anyone who would look down their nose at you is foolish. After all, you are doing what is necessary to have a healthier, more enjoyable life.

Try not to let them bother you, Sandra. You made an educated decision to improve your life. What could be wrong with that?

My weight loss and gain used to be emotion related. But for about 16 years it's been health related. Between the meds and the lower rate of mobility because of the RA I went from 145 to pushing 250 over that period of time. The first 60 lbs piled on overnight when I first got sick and was on steroids for years. The colonectomy I had in December last year wiped out about 60 lbs. I dropped to 183 and stayed there, eating normally, but didn't put any of it back on. Then when I had the reconnect surgery a month ago I dropped another 10 and am holding at 170 - 173. I'm almost 5'10" and at 57 years old and the way my body has changed with age I'm in a 14 to 16 jeans, (depending on the cut), and a medium top. The smallest I've ever been was 130 and a size 10, but I was much younger and was almost too thin. I'm very happy where I am right now. I'm wearing elastic waists because of the surgery and am actually liking them! I used to hate elastic waist pants or skirts but that was whenI didn't need them! I have an over the door gym, the one with 4 bungee type cords that you can combine for resistance strength. I love it! It's great for stretching an toning. comparable to weights I used to do years ago. It just feels good, and I HATE exercising, but this I like.

I'm guilty, I have 8, 10, 12, 14 and now 16 ugh!!! In addition to thinking I'm going to get back into the smaller sizes, I just hate giving perfectly good, barely worn clothes away. Heck, I have problems getting rid of anything. I think it comes from not having much growing up and we were taught to treasure everything and keep it new.

Excellent thread Sylvia...did you ever think it would go to this point?

WLS: Education, follow doctors orders, reduce medications, healthy outcome. Marvelous strategy! Congratulations to you who are successful!

Clothes and Closets: I actually have two closets. The one in our bedroom that I share with DH has all my nice clothes--I don't have a lot. I converted a broom closet in my laundry room to where I keep all my grubbies. We live in the middle of a hazelnut orchard and I have a large yard to take care of. Now if I'm going to work out, or do yard work, I go to that closet and grab anything because it doesn't matter what I look like. If I'm not planning to get grubbie, I can choose from my bedroom closet easily and not have to sort through ragged jeans and torn T-shirts. About twice a year, I try to sort and select what stays in the closet according to the season--I pack my unseasonal clothes in a couple of suitcases at the bottom of the closet. Works for me. :)

B

Slowly working through the same thing, a closet that has not really been cleaned out since we moved in...ten years ago? geeze....

I think I grew up in the same household with the 'save it for best' mentality! I have LOVELY things that i was SAVING that I loved and I should have been WEARING while I was tiny and cute! lol!

On the other hand, when I was growing up, when I had a fav blouse or something, I wore them to pieces. Some were threadbare. Mom and I made most of my tops, just wore jeans. When I look through the scrap bag, it's a trip down memory lane!

I went though all my jeans...there was no room left in the closet to put them away, so I stacked them on the floor. I have three HUGE cardboard cartons. Dh helped. I ignore sizes because there really is no rhyme or reason to sizing, and I shop at the thrift stores. so I tried on every stinking pair, and what ever he liked and I liked, I kept, and whatever either of us nixed, I'm getting rid of. Now, just wondering HOW to get rid of them? Clothes don't sell well here at yard sales, so I don't know what to do with them.

maybe we should have a swap...

Where's Teresa? She could put together a "jean" swap in no time.:) Trouble I see is the postage for mailing would cost more than even garage sale prices. and then there's the problem of sizing... hmmmmm you must do something local I guess. OR save them for a quilt show/convention and we could meet in the lobby and swap...:D:D:D

If you want to wear a smaller size clothes, buy very expensive brands. In Liz Clairborne and some other upper ends I can wear a 4. At K-mart a 6 would be snug. But who cares? I buy what I like and wear whatever. I did have to buy a 14 from K-mart when I was prego. I gained 32 and 37 lbs. Weighed more than my husband. How sick is that!!!

Sammi, if you are looking for a place to send your unwanted jeans, have you considered the local women's shelter? There would be a great need for many good, usable clothes at one of those since many times the women or families need to leave home in a hurry. It would also help the women to have some nice looking "job search" clothing.

I have done that with some of my not fitting ones, or gave a whole bunch to a missionary friend who was here longer than figured and the season changed. She and her daughter were so grateful for the fresh wardrobe.

Archived