just curious

Hello friends and fellow quilters. Hope this is a great weekend for all. Sure would love to be going to Houston with the crowd. Oh well, maybe another time. Just curious about how many of you use the stitch regulator and how many quilt in manual mode. I know some of the quilt shows do not allow entries that have been quilted with a stitch regulator and by now I probably should be quilting without it anyway, but it is so convenient. Just curious as to what most of you are doing. Jessie

Good morning Nifty::)

I asked the same question of most of the teacher's at the convention in Tacoma last month, Sue Patten, Jamie Wallen, & Pam Clark, rarely if ever use their SR's, they say it's too noisy, plus they learned to LA bfore SR's were available.

I use my SR at all times, I just got started with this LAing thing in June, so I have'nt tried to go manual yet.

From what I have seen & heard , most use the SR when doing panto's, & some go manual when doing free-motion. I'm not there yet.

I had know idea that a quilt show would stipulate as to weather you can use a SR or not, how would a judge ever know, some super LAer's are so good going manual that you would swear that they used a SR any way.

Just this girls 2 cents :)

Guest Linda S

I use my stitch regulator almost all the time. Like Judy, I turn it off when doing the micro work. I guess it's because on an APQS, it's not really any louder, unless you count the little beep, beep! I usually am listening to a book on tape, so it doesn't bother me. I have never heard of a quilt show that doesn't allow quilts done with a regulator. You are asked about it, as far as technique, but I don't think you'll be disqualified.

Linda

P.S. - as Sherry says, I paid good money for that stitch regulator. I'm going to use it!

Half the time I use the stitch regulator and half the time I don't...it just depends upon how much concentrating I want to do on keeping my stitches even. I never use it when I am meandering or stippling. I do love it when I am SID'ing. I am getting more efficient at even stitches and reallly would prefer not using the SR...I think the machine moves more smoothly with it off. But the SR is a great learning tool too and I am glad I had it when I started 3 years ago.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Judy, I don't know of any show in particular that does not allow the entry of a quilt done with a S/R but I have hear some of the ladies locally speak about it and I have read it in several of my quilting magazines. I couldn't imagine anyone doing manual mode if they had the S/R but I do know that a lot of the machines do not have S/R. Thank goodness for the APQS and the S/R. Happy quilting with the S/R. Jessie

I always have my stitch regulator on. I did alot of very detailed free motion quiltng before I got my longarm and love to do lots of small details now on the LA. I do no think I would be able to do what I do without it on...........................well it sure would not look as nice.

I did get pretty good on my Phaff regulating the speed but the LA is a whole different animal. You cannot just stop by taking your foot off the pedal.

I have never heard of a show not taking a LA quilt because a stitch regulator was used...............can you tell me which shows have those rules?

I guess the saying goes, "If you don't have it, you'll never miss it." It seems like the first question everyone has when looking for a machine is "does it have a SR?" I have a Discovery and it does not have a SR, so I'm on my own. I'm getting better with my stitches each day. It just takes lots of practice. I believe if those professionals can do without one, I'm going to conquer it too!I've done a lot of pantos lately and I think they help me to work on even stitches. My 2 cents.

Some of the most beautiful freehand longarm quilting I've ever seen was done by a local woman here in Fairbanks. She does not have a stitch regulator on her machine. That said, I am sure she has had many, many years of PPP. She has a God-given talent of taking the gift that is given inside her soul and pouring it out through her finger tips and on to thread and fabric. She is amazing. She is just one of the many people who have inspired me to get into this beautiful art of quiltmaking.

Shana

Teresa,

I can't tell you how many of these types of calls I have gotten in the years....and yes sad to say they all went and found someone who was stitch regulated....didn't even check out my work to see if I was in the catagory of perfect non regulated stitched or still in the practice mode where sometimes...we do get toe nail catchers.

I'm not sure what to say to these people....I have thought about getting the after market Intel-system for my ULT II.....wink wink.... Mark :cool:

Its very flustrating to have my machine for the years I have had it only to painstakingly practice and practice for a certain perfection and then boom....loose a customer because I don't have the addtional toy that some of the rest have. Its Flustering, for sure. But even more funny is that there are so many of us that have them, but turn them off when they quilt a normal stipple, design, or filler...and like JudyL said she only uses it when she mico-stipples...go figure. Wish I could tell a lie....but my face even shows over the telephone so it doesn't even pay to try.:P

Bonnie, I have also thought about getting the Intellistitch, but Myrna told me it would be the worst thing I ever did. I wish there was some way we could send our ULT II's to Mark and have him install stitch regulators on them (MARK!!!!). I'd be willing to pay good money for this service, I just can't afford to buy a new machine right now. I'm going to save my pennies for a Liberty, but that's a ways away; especially when I lose customers because I don't have the SR. Like you said, the lady didn't even ask to look at any of my quilts or samples or anything. For all she knows I'm the best quilter in the world. She called back and said she was going to have the lady in Henderson do it for her (which I believe is the mysterious Judy L that the quilt shop in Jackson recommneds). Oh Well, maybe someone else will call.

Teresa, I wouldn't without the appoval of the others...I have heard such nasty things about the Intellstitch system, but then I have seen it work and it works great and has a beautiful stitch....but truthfully the horror stories scare me more than what I have seen work well.

When I get to MQX again this coming April I plain to pick the Intell people's heads about this and really really study it....and then Mark you had better watch out we will again have this conversation of why I shouldn't or should get it (he just hates to see me coming...he knows what I'm going to bitch about...Love ya Mark ;)).

Its so maddening to have this happen, and I do want one so that I don't get the occasional out of wack stitch.

I mostly use SR but now and then I'll do some little stippling or other background designs in manual. I really like doing things in manual but I have a neck, arm and hand that don't always work right so I can't count on being consistant for a cstomer's quilt. I have my days or hours that my body co-operates and then it will switch. Had to quit working today due to muscle spasms down my back from my neck. I knew I'd mess up what I was working on if I continued. We had a storm system approaching and that is not always nice to me it wasn't from the quilting. We have a thunderstorm going on now.

BTW-- I talked repeatedly to the man who owns Intellistitch before I bought my Mille (4 years ago). I really didn't like him and he pestered me with his very pushy sales calls. Don't think I would have dealt with him because of it. Nothing against his product, don't really have an opinion. Same with Ken Gammill when I was at his place looking at his machines I felt like I was being smothered by a shyster used car salesman!! APQS, Nolting, and A-1 were very professional. jeri

Jeri....you made me giggle out loud.....Oh, I know how you feel about Ken Gammill, that's exactly what he did to me as well.....I almost felt like I needed to take a bath after just talking to him on the phone...

Maybe I should send him a thank you note.....if he had acted better I wouldn't now have a APQS. HE did me such a favor.:P

Archived