BOM with Log Cabin blocks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will share a scrollwork tutorial with my (5000) friends here!!:P:P:P

I audition placement within areas on either Mylar or transparent paper--using a water-erase pen. When I am happy with things, I use school chalk on dark and a purple air-erase pen on light to mark the first few exactly. Once I get a feel for placement of the curls, I can lightly mark here and there to keep on track.

This quilt was cream and brown--so I matched thread and stitched each side separately.

Start in the corner of the LC block. Stitch one side of the scroll, backtrack to the start, and then the other--offset the backtrack for a ribbon effect--much more forgiving and graceful than a dead-on backtrack. You are back in the corner--stitch one side of the lozenge shape to the next corner. Scroll to the left, backtrack, scroll to the right, backtrack, stitch the teardrop, stitch the other side of the lozenge shape and you are back at the start.

These are free-motioned and free-standing--that is, start and stop in one section and move to the next.

You can make them as intricate as you want. Feather down one side to fill more space. Add another curl. Whatever pleases your heart and your eye.

Thanks for liking the quilt! Now get to scrollin'!!!!

post--13461906627458_thumb.jpg

Linda, What perfect timing. I did ask about a sampler because there is one coming up.

My lady just gave me a barn raising to do. It is lovely pastel and dark batiks. She wanted feathers in the light and something else in the dark. I wonder how it would look to put the feathers in the light and your scrolly scrolls in the dark. Either that or scroll the whole thing. It is pretty, but large.

Archived