Fun Kid Vacations?

Most kids love camping. We took ours from the time they were 3 years old and even last year at ages 27 & 28, the girls and I went and now we're planning some camping with their husbands, too. We've seen the Grand Canyon, Big Sur, Red Rock in Arizona, New Mexico, Tennessee, even camped 150 south of the artic circle. You don't have to dress up, can stay up all night or be up at the crack of dawn. The girls can remember all kinds of stories from camping, but little from other kinds of vacations. Leave the cells and ipods at home. Become friends with your kids again.

If you want something really really unique, maybe not for this year, check out National Geographic Expeditions. They're fairly pricey, but the experience is absolutely out of this world. (I was lucky enough to be able to go on one of the photography ones to Santa Fe)

I'm going to keep the National Geographic idea for just me.

East Coast? Camping is great, if you do or don't camp-- Cape Cod, Nantucket? Maine love Bar Harbour and the Natl Park, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Stowe VT. Many of the ski slopes and surrounding areas also have lots of things to do in the summer. Washington DC and Phillly. with all the national sites, Boston and the surrounding area with all the historic sites and just north of the city the beaches. New York City. Further south, the North and South Carolina and Georgia beaches, Florida with all the fun stuff there --don't miss the Space Center. That's just a start.

You are right near the Ocean. Go to Ocean City, or New York City. Have they been to DC? They are about the right age.

Hersheypark is great, but pricey.

If you have time and money to take a long trip they say out west is beautiful. I've never been.

You could always come to the Tennessee mountains and sweat your butt off.

Pisgah forest in North Carolina is great for camping, gem mining, and beautiful scenery. They also have Sliding Rock, which is a natural waterslide created by light rapids down a beautiful river. My kids loved that and they were about 8 and 10 when we went.

I vote for Gatlinburg TN in the Smokey Mountains. They have Dollywood, and the waterpark, horseback riding, white water rafting etc. Lots of shops. It's a huge tourist attraction. We live in Indiana and met with all of our East Coast relatives there. They loved it so much they can't wait to go back. We rented our cabin through Majestic Mountain Vacations and loved it. They area is just breath taking.

I just took my family to Cedar Park near Cleveland Ohio. It's a teenagers paradise for roller coasters, they also have a water park. If you camp or stay in one of their facilities, you get great discounts and can walk everywhere.

Mesa Verde in Colorado. The cliff dwellings. I think they are probably really crowded nowadays, but when I was a kid we went on a vacation there, and it was the most interesting and fascinating place we ever went. I was probably around 12 or 13 and I was totally smitten with it. My parents went on a lot of vacations, and I usually didn't like being drug around, but that one I just loved. Second to that was western Canada.

Let the kids do some collective searching for a destination they both agree on. That way it will become their holiday. You could put some criteria on it that they have to meet. Could be a great family exercise within itself.

Personally I'd be looking for a National Park or the like to show them some of the history but also a great family time.

Us Grandma's most likely remember our holidays for the family interaction rather than the amusement parks! They were not around!

Lyn

Branson, MO is said to be one of the top 10 family vacation spots in the country. A lot there to see and do and everything is wholesome and family oriented. You can fly into either Springfield, MO or Branson airport. If you choose it as your destination I'd love to meet you for a cup of coffee, or in this heat a big tall soda! I'm just 45 miles from Branson.

Agreeing with those who mentioned Washington, D.C., I love to visit there, so much history!

We loved DC, and up till this year went to the Va Beach area every July. My in-laws lived there and it was always a wonderful vacation. Since they moved (FIL passed away), we visited my MIL in Ashville, NC. Also a fun spot.

Thanks for all the good ideas. We will see what they decide!

This is a great group. I appreciate all your help!!!!

I hosted a large family event in St. Louis in June. The three teenagers with us said it was the best vacation they can remember. You can do the Arch (run by National Park Service - Museum Below It), Courthouse, Anheiser Busch Tour, River Boat Tour, Drive to Lincoln Home in Illinois, Baseball game..... You can then Amtrak to Chicago or other places in the Midwest.

Hi Lisa

Come on up here! We've got the rec path nearly 6 miles long, from centre of the village up towards the mountain, where you can walk, run, skate or bike (lots of rental places). You can stop off along the way to cool off in one of the swimming holes alongside or to eat or visit the craft fair or the farmers market. Go to a sunset concert in the meadow at Trapp's (yes, THE von Trapps). Visit the home of Ben & Jerry's 8 miles down the road and take the tour. Kayak or canoe on several different nearby rivers & lakes/reservoirs(both rentable, often at the riverside or lake/reservoir), hike a different hike every day of the week. Play golf at 1 of 3 or 4 local courses or at the mini golf park on the mountain road. Take a glider ride over Mount Mansfield. Visit Lake Champlain & hunt for Champ, the Loch Ness Monster's cousin! Take a day trip or longer up to Montreal. Lots, lots more to do........even come play with me in my studio while the others amuse themselves!!!

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

Come on down to Texas. We are very near New Braunfels, it's a great place to visit. You can, go to a huge cave, a great water park, float down a great river, go horseback riding, shop at a Major outlet mall and that's just for starters! Check it out, off the beaten path, and I bet very different from places you have been. Try Texas, its a whole new country!

http://www.nbcham.org/CWT/External/WCPages/Visitor/Visitor_Information.aspx

hi lisa - imho

ocean city, nj is a great family place. it's close by and there is so much for the kids to do they will never be bored. it is a dry town, though, so make sure to pack any libations you and dh will be needing.

vermont is beautiful during the summer with warm days and cool nights & oodles of nature

the grand canyon is always a family favorite if you have not made that trip yet

mackinac island, michigan is pricey - but different than anything else you will ever do and kids love it - other great spots in michigan are petosky & charlevoix

dc is great, but hot right now. there is so much walking between museums and along the mall that i prefer that in the spring or fall.

if you like amusement parks, cedar point in ohio has everything you could want. it is hot there, too.

if you are a camper, canada has some great spots for camping and oodles of nature. toronto is a great city.

ok - gotta run - that's all i got for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived