looping, looping on quilt back

please help...i have been quilting along wonderfully in stitch reg mode, almost finished with a gift quilt, when looping and lots of it, appeared on the back of quilt. so frustrating. i have been having a "picken party" with my seam ripper for hours. any ideas on how this just starts happening with no warning ??? thanks for any help you could send my way..............i have a lenni.

:( shea

Shea,

I looked back to see if anyone else had this problem and how they solved it and there is another thread that may help you...http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=9226&page=1#pid81276, if not, I would call APQS and ask them to help walk you through figuring out what is causing it...

Shea, look closely at the looping thread. Is it the needle thread that is making loops on the back? It is possible that the thread has jumped out of the tension disk or it is not going under the check spring coming out of the tension disk. Check your thread path and rethread.

Usually when looping occurs on the bottom, it is related to the needle thread. Is it intermittent or continuous? Intermittent, than sometimes the thread will "sling" itself off of the cone and will travel quickly and form a loop. Put a piece of batting in the thread guide just above the cone of thread to help prevent this slinging of thread.

continuous, check your thread path and re thread.

Shea, I just had this happen a couple nights ago but luckily I didn't go very far because my Lenni sounded "different" so I stopped to check it out. What I had happen was that I had just put a new bobbin in and when I snapped it into the bobbin chase, my thread tail snuck under the little tab and I didn't realize it. I should have realized it right away when I brought my bobbin thread to the top but I had left it a little long so didn't pull enough on it to realize what had happened. The good thing for me was that the top thread was ridiculously louped on the back, but the bobbin thread was just laying there like a straight line so it was easy to pull that bobbin thread out and then all the loops pulled right out on the top. So sorry to hear that you're still pickin'...... :(

Shea, you may also have some lint (a.k.a. "gunk") under the tension finger on your bobbin case. That will intermittently tighten up your bobbin thread, causing loops of the needle thread on the back. Use a stiff paper (or business card) to slide under that "finger" to clean out the "gunk."

Once you figure out the culprit, be sure to post here and let us know what it was.

hey out there,

i am still "unquilting", but have tried all the suggestions here on practice peice to the side and when i get to quilting again i think its going to be good again! :) thank you all so much for the help and hope to share better times soon :) i think the looping started when i changed bobbins. maybe something got caught in my case, or needle thread jumped track. not really sure, but hopefully back in action tomorrow, after more thread picking...laundry....cooking...

thanks again, shea

• 3 weeks later...

hey, i just wanted to let you know that i finally finished the quilt i was having so much trouble with, all the looping :) i think i had a few problems. after unsewing, i cleaned my lenni and oiled, and rethreaded, and put batting in thread guide just above cone, and got a new needle and loosened up on the tauntness with side clamps and prayed and held my tongue just right and i was able to finish with no more looping!!:) so happy. thanks for your support . on to my next project :) oh yea, and i now have some red snappers !!!!they areWONDERFUL.

Archived