What would you do

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Linda,

I remember reading your posts. Just my $.02 worth. We have a small business & from my experience with people owing money...if they keep taking your phone calls, that's a good thing. Sometimes people are slow to pay. Definitely, she should have paid you by now...but if you can still talk to her...document your phone calls & keep on calling her. No one likes making collection calls, but I just tell them that I'm trying to pay some bills & trying to collect some money. Most people understand that now a days.

I would probably call her once a week & in the meantime check on what it will take to file a claim against her.

Wishing you the best,

Linda

Originally posted by SheriB

Going to call to see if the $$ is on it's way to ya....

You go girl!! I'm rootin' for ya!! I hope you are a cross between a pitbull and a (yappy) chihuahua!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...times up, where's the money.......Grrrrr!!!!

Donna

Do you have a friend that is a lawyer or works at a lawyers office? They can write a pretty intimadating letter! Or even someone who works in an office that works with collections. I had this happen to me a long time ago and my friend that worked in a doc's office that worked on collections wrote them a letter. Must have scared them into paying me, cause I got paid after she got the letter. Try it! It might work! linda

Linda,

Filing a police report probably won't get you anywhere. They are going to tell you it's a civil matter. I agree that you should send a certified letter with return receipt requested. They are going to require that if you take her to civil court. I do like the idea of telling her that you are going to repossess the machine if she doesn't make payment by a certain time. If you really decide to do that, however, you need to call the police/sheriff's office to stand by to "keep the peace" when you do. Even then, there could be problems because you really don't have the authority to enter her house without permission. I would contact a lawyer for advice, if I were you. I work for a police department and we see this kind of thing quite often. Good luck. I hope things work out for you.

No check yet but she called and is so surprised that I have not received the money orders yet.

Though it seems odd that she would be so willing to send another $2193 . She

said that she would file a report on the "missing" money orders.

This forum never ceases to amaze me. It is so easy to confide with you guys and you put yourself

in my shoes and feel my pain and disappointment. The advice about getting it sent registered sounded

good but this time she promised to send a check overnight. That means that the check should arrive

today. Here's hoping it does and that the check is good.

All this talk of police reports, repossession, small claims court, attorneys, suing, fraudulent money orders etc., dishonesty, evil intentions, -----makes my stomach knot up and I break out in a sweat.

Linda, I know you a little, from this forum and I once met you in Overland Park at the MQS. I've always loved your ideas and pictures and what you do. It's great to see you here and we all send our HUGS and love to you.

However this situation turns out, I do hope it is for your best interest and your buyer. DH once walked away from a bad situation when he realized that it would take more emotional energy and resources to pursue the criminal. That was nearly 25 years ago, and since then that person has been in prison because of other bad deals. Once DH forgave the debt, he was at peace with himself and wrote it off as wisdom gained. We sure could have used the money, but we survived.

You have to make the decision that fits your personality and heart. Folks on this forum have given you several strategies to use and it shows we're all pulling for you. You know the facts and know first hand how to read your buyer. It's not all about money; what about the emotional toll and aggravation it's causing? That's when DH counted the cost and walked away. We believe it was the best decision for us. Our "criminal" suffered the consequences eventually. We went on with life.

Oh, and my SIL just got burned by a Craig's List "Curb Stoner". We're still trying to get rid of this piece of junk. AArrrrgghh No way to track him down.:mad:

I'm waiting to see the post when you collect the money she owes you. Praying....:)

I worked in collections for many years...commercial, not consumer. It is important to remember that very few people are actually out to cheat you. Most of them fully intended to live up to whatever deal they have made. But, something has come up that they are now unable to deliver on the promise. Either she thought she'd make a bunch of money on her quilting and be able to pay you, and that hasn't happened. Or, the car blew up or somebody lost a job...whatever.

The buyer is now embarrassed about not being able to pay, so is avoiding your calls and is lying about the "check in the mail." (The lies are an indication that her conscience is bothering her.) You are angry and upset, and she knows it. Since most people don't like confrontation, especially with the person they have wronged, you aren't getting anywhere.

Sending a letter is not a bad thing. But rather than demanding payment immediately which is unlikely to happen since she doesn't have the means to get the entire amount together, you need to offer alternatives. Keep the letter cordial and non-threatening. Make sure the buyer knows you want things to work out. Try not to be too demanding (or demeaning) in this first communication.

1. She can return the machine for a (nearly) full refund of the amount she has already paid.

2. She can arrange a payment plan for the balance. The payment plan could include interest or an increased balance due for your inconvenience if you want. She must have input into a payment plan as to what she can afford and on what schedule. Otherwise, you are back to square one. But, you need to make it fair to yourself, too.

Stipulate that she must contact you within a specified period of time to arrange a payment plan or return of the machine. State that if you don't hear from her, you will "have no choice except" to initiate whatever legal process is available in your state. The amount of money involved may not allow you to go to small claims court. You can contact your county attorney's office for guidelines on how to collect the balance.

Lynn

Guest Linda S

You're right Boni - this sort of thing just makes you kind of sick. It's hard to believe that anyone, especially a quilter, would be anything less than honest. As I've gotten older, I have really begun to realize how honesty is always the best policy. I think we can all be sympathetic in this economy when someone really doesn't have the money, but weaving a tangled web of untruths and practicing avoidance is a dead give-away of basic dishonesty. I always feel I've lost a little bit of my personal value when I allow myself to be taken in like that.

Linda

It's such a crying shame that the owner of the machine, through her trusting nature and willingness to help another person achieve her dream of owning a machine, has had to stress over this situation. The machine buyer should be thoroughly ashamed of herself.

If the buyer reads this forum, I hope she realizes that her deception will only hurt her in the long run.

Linda, did your check or money order come yet? I know you were expecting it. Perhaps you could speak with her husband (do you think he knows about this?) and see if that would help. Keep us informed. I still say file a police report. She needs a felony conviction and that much money is grand theft not to mention fraud! Does she live in my state? I'd like to know in case she ever wanted to buy something from me!!!!

I work in a law office. Small claims court does not take a lot of time and energy and it's an easy process. I believe it is well worth it, especially since you have made many attempts to get your money. Document everything, tell this to the judge and go from there. It's garbage that this person did this and she is obviously full of excuses. If I were in your shoes, I would turn into a pitbull and not let this person take advantage of me. BTW, we all remember you:)

Archived