What would you do

Unfortunately, its not a criminal matter at this point. You've extended her credit by allowing her to take the machine. However, if you don't get your money and don't want to take her to small claims court, as Shana pointed out...there's always Judge Judy!

I do like Zora's idea of giving her some alternatives.

I hope this all resolves in your favor. Its so disheartening to trust someone and then get cheated.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Linda S

HAH! I love Judge Judy! She is one no-nonsense gal! Dawg on the other hand is kinda sleazy. Actually, that would make him better to send, then he can bring her before Judge Judy!

Well, I got the envelope as promised.

There was a $500 check in it as promised.

However, there was only one $864 money order and a note

that the other half would be sent later. Hmmm.

Don't get me wrong, I am relieved that this time, she wasn't lieing

about sending it to me. I just wish that she had shared with

me that it was only a partial payment

I'm not sure what happened to the other 2 money orders that she told me she sent

on July 20th. Hmm, maybe there weren't 2 money orders back then either.

So the saga continues but at least I have some of my money. Gosh, I hope the

check is good :o and that she signed it. Gulp and grrrr.

I'm glad to learn you got some of the money, so it looks like she's making an effort to make good on her part. I'm not sure what her side of the story is, and if she's going through a rough time with money, but regardless of her financial situation, she should have been completely honest and forthright about her payments, and not making up stories or delaying the payments. It's too small of a quilty world we live in to burn bridges and word gets around about someone's reputation and trust. She's already broken trust with lies and continued stories about this. Honesty is always best. People understand if you are brutally honest. Being dishonest, deceitful and making up stories is not the way to handle anything.

So sorry you have to go through this ordeal and that it has drug out for a long time.

I hope she's honest and forthright from now on, and I hope you get the rest of your money soon.

(((hugs)))

I know I've learned something from this situation. I don't give a quilt back unless I have full payment. I don't think I'll ever sell ANYTHING unless money is in hand. Now I understand why so many companies wait until "the check clears" before sending customers items ordered.

be sure not to let too much time go by, the longer she has the machine and as time goes by, it could strengthen her case of ownership.

send any correspondence by certified mail. Send a letter now with date you expect to receive payment, keep a copy.

Remember when you write a letter...no adverbs, or adjectives. Plain and simple, just the facts! less than 1/2 page

I too am glad you have some of the money you have waited for!!! Did you find out when you might be getting the rest? I hope there was a date out there in her mind that she could finish the transaction. Please keep this thread in the forefront so we will know how you are doing. It makes it scary to sell a machine on your own. When I bought my machine it was such a smooth transaction until, looking back, it could have been a nightmare! After all, I did not know Lisa and she did not know me. Blessings to you. You never did say if this was some you already knew or a stranger......hmmm....

Linda,

Send her a registered letter stating a deadline for your money. Specify that you need a cashier's check. If the check is not received by a certain date, make arrangements to get the machine back. Do not give in or keep waiting. Her money will not come until you take definite actions.

Sure, she's probably got some financial issues, but they are not yours to adopt.

Linda, I am so happy for you that you at least received that portion of the payment. I agree with Shana, being up front and honest is the best policy at all times. As I was reading through the thread I kept thinking that is not only terrible for you, but she is really giving herself a terrible reputation right off the hop with her quilting. What on earth is she thinking? Please take good care of yourself, the stress of a situation like this is so difficult. I've missed seeing you on here and wondered where you got to. ((((Hugs))))

She needs to beat the bushes for some sucker to loan her money to pay off her debt. She can talk to her DH (he might not even know about her money problem!), ask relatives, or any friends she may have to extend her a loan to get out from under this. If she ever plans to quilt for customers, I hope some day she will have a "non-payer" and finally see what her lies and deception feel like from the other side......

Another thing--this far-flung community is not as big as one would imagine and the identity of this person will sometime be exposed. What a way to ruin a reputation. This will follow her forever. I know I'm pretty PO-ed about it. It's just all-around wrong.

Oh my, after all this you only received partial payment. Still more dishonesty. Why can't she be upfront with you. We're all financially strapped these days so it's nothing to be embarrassed about. She should be more embarrassed about how she's treating you with lies and false promises. The DH probably knows about the purchase, if they picked up the machine. I think some of us have figured out who this person may be, and ask her to be honest and not carry on with the empty promises. I'm not sure if she has covered the price of the machine yet, but if she has, I would think that she could easily return the Circle Lord items for you to resale (especially if she can't afford it). I agree that you need to give her a payment deadline, "the other half will be sent later". What does "later" mean???? Guess I'm a little cruel, if this goes on and on, I would reveal the buyers name. Peer pressure is a b---h. Although "sweet" there may be a lot of "sour" behind the scenes.:mad::mad::mad:

I am curious as to the avenue this all took....When she bought the machine - and came to pick it up I suppose - did she ever mention to you, Linda, that she did not have all the money? When she was in your house breaking down the machine did that ever come up in conversation? I know about being poor; there was a time my husband and I barely had enough to get by, but I was always honest and above board. Did she sign something saying how much money she still owed you? This is all just a bad deal all around. So sorry this happened.

Am wondering, is this someone who quilted for customers before getting your machine? Is the quilting a source of income? Reason, if she's quilting for others, the least she could do is set up a payment schedule with you to finish off paying for the machine! Sheesh - there are ways to make it all work if honesty was up front in her communications with you. What a bugger this all is. 99.9% of quilters are WONDERFUL people.

don't send the check to the bank. if it comes back insufficient funds, they can only return it twice. When I had my quilt shop, I would call the bank and use account number and ask if there was enough money in account using their account number off the check, and if there was I made a flying trip to the bank and always got my money.

Archived