What would you do

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She probably thought it would be no problem making the money to repay you and now is over her head in expenses. Its always a wonderful thought thinking you can be self-directed, no boss, no schedule, and make oodles of $$$$$$$. Unfortunately, the profit margin is really tight in this economy, especially for someone just starting out. Plus it takes time to get to a skill level where you can say "hey, my quilting is good enough for $$$$$$."

I know I sound like I'm in sympathy with your less than honest person. Sorry to say, I would have told her long before now that I'm filing in small claims court.

Wow Linda I'm just catching up on this. So sorry you were done this way. So wrong on so many levels. I do hope she follows thru on your payment. No point in sharing my advice on what to do really. It wouldn't be popular for sure. I would be completely so mad there is no telling what I would do. I'm discusted for you. Truth is I wouldn't have left the machine without payment and i mean verified payment.

This has happened to me before and to this day although not on this level of money I never got paid. It felt horrible to trust someone and take their word. I lost faith in people when that happened. I've never trusted like that again.

I miss the days when a good BUTT kicking did the trick and no one went to jail for it. lol Now we are old sissy's I suppose and no one wants to be headlining CNN for taking care of business. People are not what they used to be these days. It is disheartening. really.

Hugs and best wishes

I like your idea, Tammie. But we are more socially correct today, $%#! it. So we dance

around the subject with softer words so as not to hurt the feelings of the person that

lied to us. And what does it get us? We are the ones that get hurt.

We lose our trust in humanity. We are less apt to

assist a person in need. We see the darker side of thing

never trusting that a thing is as it appears.

I wonder how long, if ever, it will take to trust people again.

Oh, Linda, don't think that way!!! I sold my machine and bought another without a hitch. We each trusted each other and stayed in touch daily and I felt I had made 2 new friends for life. I did not know either lady before the sales and they did not know me but we worked it out and we were all happy! I think that quilty people in general are wonderful trustworthy people. You just ran into a glitch this one time. That is a lot of money that is owed you but surely you will eventually get it! We all on this forum feel for you and hope for the best.

Guest Linda S

I just sold all my Circle Lord stuff and everyone was so honest and lovely to deal with. It doesn't have to be that we get dishonest people. Of course, I just got threatened over the phone yesterday for a comment I made on this board. Thank goodness for caller ID!

Hi Linda,

Her "karma" will come back on herself. If she lies to you, fact is she lies to others. An honest person is always honest; they have mastered it all their life. Honesty has consequences which relates to being accountable for your actions and thus learning from mistakes. A manipulater is rarely honest; they haven failed to learn how to deal with consequence and take ownership.....that's the uncomfortable part of honesty...therefore she fakes honesty....developing manipulation. Gauranteed she habitually lies and deceives her customers. It ranges from why she did or did not do something they wanted, makes excuses about missed deadlines, manipulates and charges more for the end result, is trying to undercut others to get business, badmouths other quilters. Furthermore, no matter where you live....this is a small world, and as previously mentioned, some of you already think you know who she is. How fast will that get around!!!!

Donna

Originally posted by Linda S

I just sold all my Circle Lord stuff and everyone was so honest and lovely to deal with. It doesn't have to be that we get dishonest people. Of course, I just got threatened over the phone yesterday for a comment I made on this board. Thank goodness for caller ID!

Oh my gosh! Someone actually had the nerve to CALL you and threaten you for a comment????? Hopefully, you were able to report them using your Caller ID. What nerve !!!! People can't be honest so they threaten and try to intimidate instead. So sad for us all...............

Originally posted by Linda S

Seriously?? I can't even imagine someone doing that to you Linda! I hope you let it slide off your back side! XXXOOO :)

I know this is a pain in the @#$* but if she does not pay in a timely manner you at least have proof that she stills owes. With this one being such a snake ( incase the check bounces) here is some info, some states allow treble damages. I would give her a week then tell you are filing. JUst because she does not have the money does not mean you don't need, and deserve it . Best of luck and keep us up to date.Jacque

Linda, glad to hear you got some of what you are owed. Hope the check funds are there - you had good advice on how to handle that by ringing the bank first.

I keep copies of everything so once again, I'd recommended that you document everything to date. Once you have cashed the check I think you should write to her confirming receipt of the monies to date, reminding her that she had promised the total amount on July 1st ? (can't remember the date you said) & re-confirming when you expect to receive the balance. You could also state what action you intend to take if all the outstanding balance is not received, in cleared funds, by that date.

"..... Dear ......,

Re: sale to you of (1 quilting machine) for $....... collected by you on .......date.

Thank you for sending me a check for $.... and a money order for $..... towards the outstanding balance of $2193. I must remind you, once again, that you had promised to pay this balance of $2193 in total by July 1st 2011.

Please pay the remaining outstanding balance of $..... by ......date by cashiers check (or whatever you decide). If I have not received the monies you still owe me for the purchase of this machine by .....date I will have no choice but to take the matter to the Small Claims Court (or whatever action you choose).

I look forward to receiving this outstanding balance of $..... by ....date. When it has been received and cleared by my bank I will send you a receipt for the full sum paid by you for this (....) quilting machine.

Yours etc, Linda....."

Copy the letter & mail the original certified. This acknowledges that you have received a partial payment, re-states exactly where you and she stand and sums everything up for the record. This tells her that you are not letting it go & she still has to pay up.

Good luck with a successful outcome to this. Sorry you had to go through it but it is a good lesson for the rest of us. I've certainly been in similar positions over much smaller amounts with customers. It has been difficult learning to be hard-nosed but the discomfort I experience when I say 'no' is so much less than the anxiety & hassle of getting the customer to pay up after the fact.

Let us know how things progress.

Great idea Anne, to recap the entire history of this ordeal so all of the facts are stated. I learn something new every day on this chat. Thank you for everyone's wisdom and for supporting our quilters when they go through unfortunate situations like this one. ((hugs)) I hope this one is resolved soon and we can all forgive and move forward.

Great advice from everyone. I've seen the person that I think it is bragging on facebook about all the quilts she's doing. In fact , she just bragged that she is "out of quilts". Sounds like she has time to round up the money for you from all "her business"!!! This just gets my hair up:mad: I haven't seen her post on here since your posting, I hope her conscience is driving her crazy. I understand if she doesn't have the money, but being dishonest just doesn't cut it!!!!

Linda, someone called you about a comment? Unbelievable, what's happening here. Don't you just love caller ID. Mine comes up in big letters on my TV. You can't hide anything these days, the truth will come out!!!!!

Guest Linda S

This is great advice from everyone. I've also noticed that someone who was very chatty has now become conspicuously absent, so I think we can all figure out what happened. It's a crazy world we live in.

Apparently, what happened to me was not really the fault of the quilter on this site. I questioned some designs she posted because I believed they were under copyright, and a "friend" of hers, who turns out to be a disabled vet with anger management issues, thought I was being disrespectful (which was never my intent) and went ballistic over the whole thing. His name is Dan Rivers and, after all that has transpired, I hope he will be banned from the forum. He also has a friend Annette who emailed the UO and is, I think the one who issued the threatening phone call. All over QUILTING, for goodness sakes! It's pretty scary when someone gets their shorts in such a bundle over warm fuzzy blankies.

Oh, and YES, technology is wonderful. While it allowed them to find me, Caller ID and email tracing of IP addresses allows us to know exactly who they are. They have been reported to the proper authorities and, if I receive further harassment, I will press charges.

• 2 weeks later...

OH MY GOSH Linda,

I wonder if you sold the machine to someone I ALMOST did business with.

I was going to sell my machine and had an older lady that wanted to buy it. She didn't have the money but wanted to take the machine and give me a partial payment, then she would collect from the person that owed HER money, then she would pay me. I didn't think that was a good idea, and told her to get back to me when she had the full amount. I was also going to give her a great deal on the machine.

Well, she called me back a few days later (crying) and said she was so sorry but that she couldn't get the money from the other person, wanted to know if she could still come look at it, and take it promising the money. I refused.

HOW BIZARRE!!

Archived