Sign in to follow this  
lcquilting

help! looking for a lady bug quilt pattern

I'm really wanting to make my daughters a full or queen size lady bug themed quilt......any suggestions or patterns that you know of? I've done some looking and all i've found are for throw size or baby....

And the primary colors I want to use is rred/black/white and accent with green (leaves etc.) I've found a quilt that I can buy but would prefer to make it myself of course! :)

Thanks all!

Heres the one I really like!

http://kidsdecoratingideas.com/kids-decor-detail.php?RecordID=43

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." Phillippians 4:6

Michelle Beckman

Log Cabin Quilting

Teutopolis, IL

This photo was taken at Innovations in 2008 and was done by Corey here on the forum. I hope she doesn't mind me posting this great quilt. I am not good with curved piecing, so I would devise a pattern using Log cabin blocks with your chosen red and black on one side, and all whites on the other. Then sprinkle those ladybugs and a few leaves all around.

post--13461906670026_thumb.jpg

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Maybe not what you are looking for. This was my sons Wedding quilt. My DIL loves lady bugs even had one on her ring fingernail for the wedding.

This is a large King size.

Lyn

post--13461906670672_thumb.jpg

Lyn Crump   Hand Guided 2013 Millenium Blissed and Gliding    APQS Sales Rep SE Qld Australia   www.busyquilting.com.au   On Facebook and Instagram as BusyQuilting

Attitude is everything - So pick a good one!

Perhaps I shouldn't say this but I will, It would be quite easy to nearly copy the lady bigs in shape, could have different colored heads and match the drunkards style border to one of the bugs head.. double the leaf panel in width, check for width of bed, and length with some under the pillow or with a pillow tuck that continues after tucking under the pillow cases.

If you arent afraid I'll tie you up and thro acorns and fire wood at you, email me and I can give more info on set up and then you can use the fabric for the top and and drops. Several sites have them for free.

NO problem if you don't want to go that way. Don't be afraid to say so I don't bite or crawl in a corner to cry.

Linda R.,

Sharon Schamber has a teriffic method and so accurate to sew curved seams.. I'm switching to using that though the way I use to make them was fine, pretty accurate, and quite easy once I'd tried it several times and found what I did to make it come out pretty. Email me if interested.. don't worry if you want to let it be and not use it. I'll just crawl under the bed and cry my eyes red.

posted on 2-8-2011 at 10:32 AM

Perhaps I shouldn't say this but I will, It would be quite easy to nearly copy the lady bigs in shape, could have different colored heads and match the drunkards style border to one of the bugs head.. double the leaf panel in width, check for width of bed, and length with some under the pillow or with a pillow tuck that continues after tucking under the pillow cases.

If you arent afraid I'll tie you up and thro acorns and fire wood at you, email me and I can give more info on set up and then you can use the fabric for the top and and drops. Several sites have reference cards for figuring fabric from one size to another and how much fabrics to make it. .

NO problem if you don't want to go that way. Don't be afraid to say so I don't bite or crawl in a corner to cry.

Linda R.,

Sharon Schamber has a teriffic method and so accurate to sew curved seams.. I'm switching to using that though the way I use to make them was fine, pretty accurate, and quite easy once I'd tried it several times and found what I did to make it come out pretty. Email me if interested.. don't worry if you want to let it be and not use it. I'll just crawl under the bed and cry my eyes red.

2008 Lenni,

Quiltazoid and Topper assisted by RnS.

Rita Quilts- Sanford NC

http://community.webshots.com/user/ritaqlts

since I was told my info is not wanted on APQS forums. I would love to delete todays posts but can't because I don't have an edit bitton, Tad, Dawn Heidi, Can someone fix, or tell me please WHAT is going on. I really would have all the features usually on this site.

Thanks in advance for any/all help

Hi Michelle

I too think it would be easy to replicate the quilt. If you are not artistic, Shabby Fabrics has a pattern called Ladybird's Serenade with a very similar ladybug.

Ladybugs are easy to draw: they are basically a big circle with a little half circle on top and two swirls for antenae. Inside the body are two half circles. Flowers are easy to find and so are leaves! voila!

Hope this helps!

Donna

Donna

APQS Liberty-new to me!

Michelle

There is a book available that has a cute ladybug quilt pattern. It is called Ladybug, Ladybug. It is by Black Mountain Quilts. I have had it a few years but I just googled it and it is still available. It seems to have the same color and whimpsy the one you like has. Hope this helps.

Peggy

Thanks for all your responses! I would love to recreate it on my own....however not sure if I can!! :) And i'm a little afraid of doing alot of applique on this quilt since it will be for my 2 little girls and will have to be washed alot.....won't the applique come off after awhile?! Never worked with it! I need to do a little sketching and see what I come up with!

Thanks again ladies!

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." Phillippians 4:6

Michelle Beckman

Log Cabin Quilting

Teutopolis, IL

Michelle, I got a clotilde catalog yesterday and as I was looking through it I came across a cute ladybug quilt pattern heres the link http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?criteria=429569 The pattern is called Ladybug, Ladybug pattern #429569, hope this helps.

Debbie Mumm also has a pattern called lots of Ladybugs quilt the pattern is in one of her books called "Debbie Mumm's Birdhouses for Every Season" in this pattern the ladybugs are pieced not applique can't post pic of it never made the quilt but basically to make a lady bug block all it says you do is start with a red 4 1/2" sq (this is the body of the lady bug)then take 2- 2 1/2" backround color sqs and draw a diagonal line on each corner to corner then place one each on opposite corners of the red 4 1/2" sq and sew on the diagonal lines. Trim to 1/4" seam and press open. Then take a black 1 1/2" sq draw a diagonal line on it and place on one of the reamaing red corners of the 4 1/2" sq. Sew, trim and press open (this is the head of the lady bug). Next take a 1 1/2" sq of the back ground color and do the same as you did for the head but attatch to the last remmaing corner of the red sq. If you double the finished sizes of these sqs you should get an 8" block which you can use instead of the applique blocks in the above clotilde link pattern since they info on the pattern says it is 8" blocks. As far as the spots go you could any of the following...you could embroider the spots on the body, sew small bottons on the bodies or look for a red fabric with block poka dots.