My new quilting studio -- a converted garage

Georgene

Originally posted by Linda G. Craig

I too could sit at your window and eat M&M's all day long! :P:P

Linda, I'm with you...move over and share those MM's. :D:D

Georgene, you must put a birdbath outside that window. I would be so tempted to enjoy the scenery more than quilting. How lovely! Thanks for the slide show.:)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miss Georgene, you space is heaven. I went through the slide show 3 times! It's wonderful, perfect, love it...jealous!

I saw so many interresting things I was wondering about that I have to take notes,lol!

If you have time I'd love to ask..

1) What do you use the PVC tubes for?

2) What do you use the swim noodles for?

3) What needle size do you use the PolyQuilter thread with and do you like it?

4) I LOVE LOVE your backdoor entry...so charming and welcoming!!

5) Where do you get your stencils?

6) I LOVE your customer bags with your stickers on them! GREAT idea!

7) Where do you piece your tops?

8) What flooring do you put down?

I just loved everything! Thankyou for so much for posting your slideshow. Went VERY well with my coffee, Amie :o)

Georgene, I loved looking at the photos of your quilting studio. I was wondering where you purchased your cabinet that has all of your threads stored and the manufacturer? It looks like what I need to keep my threads organized. I have been purchasing more thread, but I have no place to keep it. I love the view of your yard too! At little like mine, but bigger.:)

1) What do you use the PVC tubes for? When I remove a quilt and learn that I've missed something, I can wrap the quilt around the rollers and secure it with the "quilt clamps." I bought them from a Gammill dealer.

ALSO, I use the thinner PVC clamps to mark the sides of quilts. I place them on the Top roller, which I don't use (I float), and I strive to keep the sides of the quilt straight and square by lining them up with the clamps. You can also use tape. A trick I learned from Sue Patten.

2) What do you use the swim noodles for? Two things. They raise the straps up further than just the curtain rolds and thereby you don't have to move the rods so close to the quilt sides -- no interference with the machine. And they also help keep the curtain rods from falling off the rollers.

3) What needle size do you use the PolyQuilter thread with and do you like it? I use a 4.5 needle, but you could also use a 5.0. It's a great thread from certain quilts: Children's quilts, because it's thicker and tough enough to withstand lots of washings. Also, I just used it on a flannel quilt -- flannel both sides -- because of it's durability and the flannel was very heavy -- Sew Batik flannel. It's a thicker thread and is good to use when you want the thread to really show. I love it for certain projects. But don't confuse it with Perfect Quilter, which is or has been discontinued.

4) I LOVE LOVE your backdoor entry...so charming and welcoming!! Thanks, but it's actually the front door to the studio -- customers drive into a separate driveway, which used to lead to this renovated garage. Although it's not visible from the road, because it's recessed back from the front of the house, you see it once you've come down the driveway a bit.

5) Where do you get your stencils? Most from the Stencil Company, some from Patsy Thompson, some from Quilt in a Day (Eleanor Burns), and maybe a couple from elsewhere??

6) I LOVE your customer bags with your stickers on them! GREAT idea! I buy the bags from Nashville Wraps (http://www.nashvillewraps.com) and I made the labels on my computer, using 4-per page labels.

7) Where do you piece your tops? In a separate room. I used to have my longarm and my sewing machines in the same room, but I was so cramped, it just wasn't working. So now I have them separated. I'm going to miss my Horn cutting table in my piecing room, so I may have to travel in the quilting studio to cut strips. I figure it's a small sacrifice for having the room I needed for the longarm and having a separate entrance, which, to me, is a huge benefit.

8) What flooring do you put down? I splurged on the flooring. Carpet is much cheaper, but I spent $3,300 for this high grade sheet vinyl that looks like wood. I don't have to worry about pins getting caught in the carpet, I can swiffer it clean, and it's very cushiony, easy on the feet, and yet easy to roll chairs on.

I actually purchased these "cubes" (what the orgininal owner called them) from a yard sale. I bought 4 for $20 each (she said she paid a lot for them). I wish I had bought more. The drawers remove VERY easily...they just slide right out. So I can take the entire drawer over to the table as we are auditioning threads for the quilt top.

My guess would be they were purchased at Ikea, but I don't know for sure.

Boni, I don't have a bird bath, but we do have a bird feeder on one of the trees in the yard. My husband fills it once or twice a day.

Besides birds, we also have ducks and rabbits feeding off the spillover from the bird feeder.

I love animals..."all creatures great and small."

Ladies, I'd love for any or all of you to visit me, just give me a couple of days' notice and show up.

We have a garage / apartment in our backyard that exits onto a pier on the creek.

I'm serious. I live in Poquson, Va, near Langley Air Force Base -- on the east coast, between Hampton and Yorktown.

If I haven't answered all the questions, please let me know.

OOOH, Georgene, don't tempt us! Sounds like a "road trip" has gotta be planned! Hey, could stop by and see Jeanne in SC along the way, and also "Gator"!!

Thanks for answering everyone's questions. It is so great that everyone here on the forum shares ideas and methods.

Sounds like you have the same type of floor that I have in my studio. Had to have a "fist fight" with my husband over it when my room was built. He wanted to have tile like the rest of the house, but I wanted the wipe-clean vinyl so I didn't have to go "clunk, clunk" running my chair back and forth while going from machine to machine on my DSM's in the "olden" days. It has worked so well for me, and still looks fabulous almost 20 years later! Really great for my Millie as I have her on casters and she just rolls along wherever I need her to go!!

Thanks for sharing all the details, and leave the porch light on!!

Such organization!! I love it and could never achieve it myself! Fantastic space you are going to love it, I think I like the customer entrance the best, not running to make sure the dust is off the coffee table when the door bell rings!! Congratulations!! Looks like you really put a lot of planning and thought into your space. Enjoy!!

Thank you for showing the Circle Lord storage unit. I seem to remember it from when you husband (?) initially made it. It's so nice!

If you get the Michael's coupons they help with the purchase of the white wood storage units.

I enjoyed all the pictures of the new studio so much---you have a lot of wonderful organizational ideas. Thanks for posting the link, and pictures! ;)

Archived