Hello at last!

Hello Everybody!

I've been hooked on reading this forum for years and now that I finally have my Freedom set up I thought I'd better join because I'm sure to have lots of questions as a new longarm quilter.

First question: I have a lot of Metro thread with which I had no trouble on my old short arm machine, but I haven't been able to run it without breakage & problems on M'arly (my Harley). The thread is fraying at the needle & breaking, but also leaving intermittent loopies on the bottom. It is the top thread that is making the loopies. Any advice on how to tweak a Freedom when using Metro top & bottom?

Buttonflower

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Freedom!! My guess is that it is not the thread but rather a tension issue or a burr on the throat plate. someone with more experience than myself will pop in soon. I just wanted to welcome you and say hello!! Metro works very well with my Lenni so it should work in your machine as well once you get the tension adjusted to that thread.

The intermittant loopies will happen when the threads "sling" off the cone. Slick threads tend to do this and I also get it with King Tut. Put a piece of batting in the guide above the cone of thread. Run the thread between the batting and guide. this will control the thread at that point if is slings off the cone again.

Try backing off the upper thread tension some and see if the shredding stops.

Thank you for all the wonderful "welcome to the forum" responses. I've decided there might be a burr on the needle after I compared my first practice sandwich to the charity quilt which had all the problems. I have ordered some new needles but I'm stuck for the moment with only one damaged needle. I'm not sure how I damaged the needle, as I know that I didn't hit any pins. I still plan to make another practice quilt sandwich & see if I can tweak the tension a bit. Of course I have lots of UFOs to piece in the meantime. I'll report back once I have a new needle & conquer the tension issue. I can also start cutting the boxes of scraps people have given me with my new accuquilt studio die cutter. Does any one have a favorite die to use with scraps?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Buttonflower

Thanks for the information about the package of needles Patty. I thought it was strange that they didn't include a pkg. of needles, but I've searched high & low with no results. A package of needles is quite small and there was a ton of packing in the 8 boxes. I figure something ate it. If I had gone through a whole package of needles the learning curve would be a lot steeper than I anticipated. I'm still bummed with myself for damaging my one & only needle.

Buttonflower

Archived