I don't Facebook

Call me old fashioned or paranoid but I don't Facebook nor do I have a hankering to join. I'm disappointed that the email sent out today from APQS had free patterns but the only way I can get them to to join Facebook?????????? Seems like everyone is tied into Facebook and it maybe the next best thing but it looks like to me another place to loose time. My daughter says I'm nuts to not trust the site but there is so much erroneous poop out there on the web about who is related to who, where people are, and they get their information from social web sites! Call me old fashioned:(

i understand your concerns, but i think it's a great way to reconnect or stay connected with people.

2 of my kids are close by, but my daughter is not. it's fun to see the pictures she posts and read what she is doing real time. we have moved many times from state to state, i can keep up with old friends of mine and also those of my kids.

for me , it works. and i love it!

i don't facebook either. i don't like their 'ownership/licensing' clause in their rules. any pictures you upload to your facebook account belongs to facebook.

think about it- if you upload a picture of your quilting, then use YOUR picture in your marketing/advertising. facebook could sue you for licensing....or use your picture without 'permission' (you agreed to this by uploading it) for their advertising....

nope, not my idea of proper internet business practices...

i know alot use it for reconnecting, but some people that are in my past deserve to stay there....i can be found (not easily unless you 'know' me through my blog....that's good enuf for me

I agree with Shannon and the others. I don't need to reconnect with most of the people from my past. I already spend - waste - enough time online reading blogs and other chat groups. If I was on Facebook or other social media, I would never get anything done! I also think there is too much "private" info out there in cyberspace. I don't think I need to give anyone another reason to find me.

Im with Meg, and enjoy using Facebook. Their security policies have improved greatly. You can now have a secure https:// connection. Also it is up to each individual how much interaction you have. My profile is set up for personal friends and my quilting friends and favourite quilting companies like APQS and Accuquilt. I have the personal chat turned off so I do not get chat request unless I want to chat to my family. It is also a great way to share photos with family that you do not see very often , like my sister who lives in another country. Also my eldest Son and myself always have a continual game or two of Scrabble on the go. :D

When my kids were in college, it was great to just watch their posts. That way I knew they were OK, even if they didn't contact me directly. I pretty much just see what everyone else is up to now. Don't post much myself. On the reconnection aspect, I have been able to "reconnect" with some old 4-H folks that I likely would never have found, so I like that aspect. With that being said, I'd much rather hang out here, with all you guys, then with a lot of "casual friends". You guys ROCK and I get to learn so much.

Originally posted by Kueser

Call me old fashioned or paranoid but I don't Facebook nor do I have a hankering to join. I'm disappointed that the email sent out today from APQS had free patterns but the only way I can get them to to join Facebook?????????? Seems like everyone is tied into Facebook and it maybe the next best thing but it looks like to me another place to loose time. My daughter says I'm nuts to not trust the site but there is so much erroneous poop out there on the web about who is related to who, where people are, and they get their information from social web sites! Call me old fashioned:(

Yes, it's a place where you can lose time, but I'm sure folks said the same thing about that new-fangled invention, the telephone, when it debuted. It's all a matter of how you use the tools available to you.

I respect those that don't want to use Facebook, but I'm having a blast connecting with my High School graduating class. Our 40th Reunion is this weekend (don't you DARE do the math!) and my DH and I are unable to attend, even though we both graduated in the same class, lo these many years ago.:P

Shannon, about the rights to your photos? If Facebook wants to sue me because I use one of my own quilt photos in my own advertising literature, I dare 'em!! That would be a fun court case to win..... And I don't mind them using my photos elsewhere - no such thing as bad publicity....

I too use Facebook to keep up with friends and family. The key to keep in mind is no matter where you post on the Internet it is free to be taken elsewhere. Even things you post on APQS can be gotten by anybody. It is wise not to post things that will give evil people the opportunity to act such as when you're going on vacation or addresses & phone numbers. Just be wise where & what you post. I keep my security as tight as I can get it on Facebook but I always keep in mind that anything I post can be gotten.

I joined Facebook last year, and honestly, it has it's +'s and -'s... at first it was kinda neat to check in on everyone. And I do really enjoy staying up with my family living very far away... but the novelty has worn off. I actually deleted a couple of facebook "friends" that were very vulgar and I also deleted some who did (daily) was brag brag brag brag brag brag brag...sorry but uh I'm not interested in how fabulous your life is on a daily basis (believe it or not, it was boring me!) :mad:

I see a lot of people use Facebook as a means to generate income and advertising for their home based business; a lot of professional people in our quilty industry use it as a marketing tool.

Personally, I'm pretty low key. I also have my Facebook account locked down to super tight privacy settings so I don't get spam, I don't get odd people I don't know asking to be friends, and I have all of the apps turned "off" (I can't stand those apps (or the facebook games-- talk about a major time waster--)

So, I'm tending to slide further away from Facebook. It's probably OK for me to hop on there every couple of weeks or so but not every day. That is just too much!

It's good and it can be not so good, too. JMHO

Well, I'm with Meg, Kath, Barb and Heidi, I dragged my feet about it until last summer my sister hounded me until I finally got a FB page, I am now in touch with all of my cousins that I haven't talked to in 20 years! One I talked to back in Feb then passed away shortly after we reconnected and I am glad that I had the chance to talk to him. You just need to use common sense when it comes to privacy like all else....so I'm off to see what these APQS patterns are.....

Dawn/APQS, are you listening? I realize there is probably a valid economical reason that you only offer the free patterns on Facebook, but please reconsider this and somehow make this available to all on the forum. There are many valid reasons for people not wanting to use Facebook, privacy and safety being mine. Thanks you. Becky

There is a rather interesting article on MSNBC.com. It has to do with identification of you by just posting your picture. Apparently, technology is much more advanced than we realize. My one daughter uses facebook to keep in touch with people. Made the decision that I would not use it and after reading this article, I am more than happy with that decision. Some of you may find this article worth reading. It is good we can all decide for ourselves.

Marilyn

Archived