I don't Facebook

Everyone has their likes and dislikes...that is what makes the world go 'round.

Personally, I love, love facebook. I had looked for a very good friend from school for years. Found her on FB. I am so happy we have reconnected. So many old friends I have caught up with. I post pictures of my latest garden picking...my lastest plate of food I cooked for dinner...or just something stupid I have done lately...there are always plenty of those stories.

For those who don't like FB, that's okay. There are a lot freebies there if you look around. But you can get freebies everywhere on the internet, you don't need FB for that.

I fought getting on to Facebook as well, even though 3 of my 5 kids are on it and most of my family from the midwest is on it etc...decieded to get on it earlier this summer after my oldest brother hounded my oldest daughter to talk me into it...I am glad I did, I am able to reconnect to cousins, aunts, neices and nephews(that I have never met because we moved away over a decade ago and haven't been able to make it back to see them), also who has the time to be on the phone with everyone when you come from a large family like I do. This way I can convesre, joke with, cry with, and still be part of my ever growing family when most of us are all over the country.

Most families don't stay in the same town they grew up in, most people move around alot making it difficult to stay in touch with each other...facebook is just a way to let people stay connected when circumstances get in the way.

BTW my DH who works in an IT job and is always being briefed about the dangers of all internet use, not just the social networking sites. Believe me if someone really wants your info, if you're on the internet you are at risk...period.

It's like using APQS chat x 1,000. Lot's of quilters, quilt artists and longarmers on Facebook. I think the chances of someone picking me to destroy are few and far between. You can choose your friends to share info with. People will send a facebook message more often than they would an email, phone call or letter. For some reason it is easier. I connect with old friends from California, relatives I haven't seen in years. I've entered a virtual quilt contest from Aurifil and won $400.00 worth of thread. I was featured in magazines and newsletters because I was noticed on Facebook. You can see other quilters quilts before they go to show, because they share their progress. I've met quilters from around the world and get to see their work. I think it is facinating. Sherry Rogers Harrison posts videos on how she quilts. Matt Sparrow posts videos. Every major quilt fabric company, thread company, longarm company is on the site. People posts pictures of the latest quilt shows. Pat Sloan has a great Facebook page. It's just so darn fun. I start every morning with a cup of coffee and Facebook. I can't live in fear. It is great for networking.

I do not Facebook and tried to click into the patterns page - didn't work. I would like to see others work and it sounds like fun, but there are personal family reasons I will not join.

Those people didn't want to be a part of my life (in REAL life) - when I needed them - they do not need to know what is going on with me or my family now or ever! They live less than 30 miles away - you need a computer to stay in touch??!?! I don't think so.

Can you join just to see other stuff with out putting any personal info on there?

Guest Linda S

I use facebook - I've found two of my best friends from college there (that was a long time ago!). I usually check in daily to see what's going on. I sometime post, sometimes just see what friends are up to. I avoid politics and religion when I can, just so there are no hurt feelings, and I don't do the farm/cafe/whatever games. No time for that. Anything can be a big time waster -- heck! I rarely watch the TV because it always sucks me in.

I use facebook, it's great for keeping in touch, finding friends, sharing interests. You do have to stay on your toes. If there's a privacy issue, someone usually posts it. Especially when facebook, adds or changes settings. I only allow my "friends" to share my info.

I use FB and I only "friend" with people that I know same as with my e-mail if I don't know them I don't open it. It is like everything else this site included you decide what you are going to use it for. I talk to family and friends and my quilt guild has a page that is easier than our official google page to use.

Thanks for all of your interest in the free patterns being offered on the APQS Facebook page. This is a joint promotion with APQS and the great folks at Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting to celebrate the launch of our new APQS Facebook page. Once the Facebook offer for the free pattern expires, we'd be happy to get it to you. We'll let you know when the promotion ends so you can get your patterns!

There are alot of Longarmers on facebook and their quilts are amazing. You just need to be smart about how you use it. I don't accept any 'friend' requests from anyone who is not a regular part of my life or a relative. Works. Don't have alot of 'friends' on facebook but the ones I do have COUNT. There's so much out there about you based on all different technologies - just from your credit card history it's amazing what they know about you - that I don't loose any sleep over it and just carry on....

Archived