Using FAT batting on the Milli ?

Hi, I've just put on a fan quilt for my sister and she wanted the thick poly batting. So it's on and I'm a little leary of starting. Does anyone have any suggestions for me before I get started? I've thought I would lengthen the stitch and use a more open pattern than I would with a regular batting. I can imagine it turning into a board if I quilted real close. I appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks, Evelyn APQS Milli

Evelyn: You may need to raise the foot in order to have smooth movements. I wouldn't think the tension bar (or whatever the one is with nothing loaded on it) would need to be raised but check to be sure there's no obstruction there.

I've used a pretty fat bat for trapunto and had no problems. I didn't raise my foot because I didn't want to mess with it and I knew the first stitches, which were the only ones through the fat batt, were not staying (they were water soluble). I could feel some drag and had it been stitches that were staying in the quilt, I would have raised the foot a bit.

Good luck!

You may need to raise your hopping foot a bit. The adjustment is on the right side, you will see a hole and the screw can be seen in this hole, use a good slotted crewdriver to loosen the clamp, you can then move the foot up or down.

The normal height is a dimes's thickness from the throat plate, I carry a dime in my service kit for this reason.

If the hopping foot is too low you will hear a hammering sound when you are sewing. This is very easy to hear.

The Millie is very forgiving for different thicknesses and you probable will not need to raise the hopping foot.

Good Luck

When using a fat or even a thicker batt, even though the machine may not HAVE to have the foot raised, you sometimes have much better control if you raise it just a tad. Just don't forget to put it bck in its proper position when you go back to regular batting.

Hi Evelyn,

I guess our take on it here at the factory is that you shouldn't have to move the foot unless it effects your movement of the machine. I spoke with John Mitchell on the phone yesterday. And we are now setting the foot a little lower than a dimes width. Most of you are using a very low loft batting. Thus we need the foot a little lower than we use to set it. But Judy is right, you can move the foot only up if needed. Just don't go too far..we want the foot to still compress the fabric properly.

Good luck!

Mark APQS

I'm so impressed with all the replys ! I really appreciate the help and interest. The quilt is finished and it turned out very well. It feels good, draps nicely. I didn't have to raise the foot, but will keep the information on how to do it, just in case. There was plenty of room between the two back roller bars, maybe three-forths inch to go. I have three more to do with my sisters help. She made the tops. It was fun.

I live 20 miles, as the crow flys, from Mt. St. Helens. They have just closed the trails within 12 miles of the dome. Looks like it 's getting ready to do some thing. I hope it waits till morning so we can see it. Good quilting , Evelyn

Archived