Another question or two....

I know you are all going to be sick and tired of me soon, but just as I think I'm getting the hang of all this another problem arises...so here's another question if it's ok.

I've been practicing pantographs this week, had a great success with the first one so I thought I was bulletproof...well, not so much. I had a terrible time with the second one at the end of the rows...I kept getting the fabric all bunched up. I felt like I wanted to pin it down to keep it in place but knew I would hit the pin. I tried stitching down the side to hold it, that was worse. I ended up using some spray baste to hold everything in place, that worked pretty well, but I hate to use that stuff. I really gunked up my dsm using that a few years ago.

The same problem at the bottom of the quilt, I ended up spraying all across the bottom, it held nicely but I'm thinking there must be a better method.

The second question is about vibration. I seemed to have a lot of that on these two quilts. Could it be that I have the rollers too high? I raised the qult top roller because the ruler mate kept hitting it, I raised the leveler bar because I couldn't use my Linda Rech crosshatch rulers. I've many times noticed some vibration but it seems like it's a lot worse now.

Any input is appreciated, I love you guys!

I think on the roller bars you should be able to just fit your fingers under the bar, do a search as there was a thread or two on this not so long ago, as for the vibration, check to see if your table is level, check your wheels to see if they are adjusted correctly and last of all be sure all of the bolts on your machine are tight. If you do a search for machine vibration, you will see alot of ideas there too,,,if all else fails, call APQS and they will help you figure out what is going on.

Cindy,

Did you use the clamps on the sides to help keep the backing tight so it doesn't bunch? Was there extra fullness in the borders of the top to cause bunching after basting down? Bonnie has a great starch and steam method, so search for that. There are other ways to handle extra material in the borders too if that was the problem.

Cindy is your hopping foot too low and pushing the fabric? I always stitch each side dow and then go to town on the panto and I have no problems. I find that if a quilt is a little full or not as square as I'd like I will run some pin basting along the upper roller (the one that you put the quilt on before it is quilted) to baste that section in place so that when I roll forward it doesn't get super wonky. Of course the pins are so close to the upper bar that they won't be any chance that I stitch over them.

As for the vibration it is the leveler bar that might be your problem. You should be able to slip your finger to the 2sd knuckle when the machine is in place. If it is too high it will cause your quilt to bounce. Another thing to check is that your table is level and check those trusses if you have them. Vicki's right there were some really good threads on this recently.

I'm thinking it may be the height of my hopping foot that's the issue, however on the first quilt I had no problem. I have 3 quilts exactly the same, same pattern, same fabric, backing and batting and the two I've done already were nice and square and flat. The pantos were different though, the second one was much less dense so when I'd get to the end of the row there was always some "vacant space", I'd quilt to the edge and then the pattern came back in to fill that bit of space, that's when the bunching occurred. The foot would push the fabric away and then push it back in. I think I'll try adjusting the foot just a bit, hate to do it though because my tension has been so good. Maybe I'll go back to the first panto for the last quilt. I've been using Metro thread with Aurifil on the bobbin, I seem to get much better tension with cotton in the bobbin.

Archived