Lucey Machine -V- completely unadorned Ulti I

Hi, all. I own an Ulti I, early 90's, with no additional features whatsoever. Just plain stitching on a 14 foot table. I've been considering upgrading, and cost is a factor. What I am wondering is this - who out here in this wonderful APQS family owns a Lucey, and what do you think of her? Lucey has the same throat size as my Ulti I but has many more features. I can put it on my existing table (three bar table) so that cuts the cost of a new table as well.

I just have not seen a lot of people posting who own a Lucey, and I'm wondering if there is a reason why? Durability, motor strength, etc.?

Any information would be helpful, and thanks in advance for you experienced people's imput!! Love this forum, by the way!

Marcia

Ultimate I 'Mizz Mona'

I think the reason that you have not seen many Lucy posts is that it has not been out for very long. I believe it is the same as Lenni with vertical handles but with the larger throat space. I would have bought a Lucy over a lenni had it been around when I bought in 2009.

From what I can see it looks like a lovely machine.

Leslie and Janette, thanks for your imput. I have thought about the Intellistitch and wonder if that would be the right route for me. Oh, decisions, decisions! My ulti has a 1/2 hp motor, and I understand the motor I/S uses is smaller - I don't want to lose power!

Hoping some Lucey owners see this at some point and chime in - I really want to make a good, informed decision!

Marcia

Ulti I 'Mizz Mona':

you might want to contact Intellistitch and see if they would be willing to outfit your Ult 1 with a SR. I have been told that they don't like to do this with older tables (wood ones, 3 bar ones) as the sensor wheels seem to have problems dealing with these tables. I don't know if you have an older table, but I do and I also have a Ult11 with Intellistitch. I have to say the stitches are not so good and I have resorted to using the 'stipple' mode only as I can get better stitch look with out the regulator mode. This system has been back to Intellistitch twice and now I have been told that they don't do well on my type of table.

I too, have thought about a Lucey machine...but have decided to wait and see as it is a newer machine and I want to make sure that all the 'kinks' are worked out before any commitments.

Hi Marcia~

Although I am not a Lucey owner, I have had the pleasure of working on a Blissed Lucey machine this entire month.

All I can say is,.... WOW!!! I am in Love!!!

I work on a 2006 Gr Milli as well as a 2010 Lenni. (Standard Tables)

The Lucey is just Sweet!!!

Ease of use, Perfect weight for just the right amount of resistance,

Larger throat for more quiltable space, and the Bliss Table is to die for!!!

Lucey is definately something I would recommend!!!

Don't know if this really answers your question, Just wanted to put my two cents in .

Laura Farnham

This is mostly for mamu. I have an Ult2 that I recently had upgraded with an Intellistitch stitch regulator. I have a wooden table and have had no problems with stitch regulation. Any problem you might have is probably due to where the horizontal encoder rides. I installed a 1 1/2" strip of wood on top of the edge where the encoder rolls. It gives me a wider surface for it to roll on. You might consider that, or maybe installing an angle iron or angle aluminum along the edge for the encoder to roll on. All you'd need to do is to adjust the height of the encoder to allow for the change in elevation of the table edge. The angle will give you a more even and smoother surface for the encoder to ride on. Mine works fine.

For whitepinesquilter: The old motor is more powerful, but the electronics in the Intellistitch accounts for that, and performance is not hurt. The motor used by Intellistitch is the same as used on the Gammills, the Kenquilts, and the Noltings, and none of them are underpowered. I'm not sure what motor is used on the APQSs, but the Groschopp 8014 seems to be the industry standard.

My installer (Helen B. at helen@longarmquilter.com) did not mention anything about not liking to install them on wooden tables.

I'm happy with my upgrade. If you like your machine, it is something to consider. Regards. Jim

Thank you Jim, I read your post to my husband and we will look into modifying our table for the encoder. It sounds like it just might be the solution to our problem. I do run the machine in the 'S' position and have not had much trouble with it doing that. Since I purchased this machine used and the the gal that had it inherited it from her mother...she pretty much didn't know how to use it and had it so messed up that I have had quite the time getting it fixed properly where it would run right....a BIG learning experience for us!;)

I had Helen and Tony Byzinski (sp?) install the Intellistitch on my 1999 Ultimate II when I owned it. (since sold) My Ulti was on a wooden table, and I had no problems, nor did they mention having any when they were here doing the installation. At the time, 2007--and I don't know if this still it the norm, they installed an entirely new motor. Tony gave my whole system a "spa" day. I had Edgerider wheel installed on it as well. It was wonderful before---but super when the revamp was completed.

I used it for several more years. The reason I sold it was because nothing was adjustable ergonomically on the table or frame, and I have some shoulder, back issues as I'm aging. So, I opted for another brand long arm.

I still keep pictures of my Ultimate II "Rosie", and the installation on Picture Trails if you want to check it out.

Here is the Link:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/14569894

It's a big decision to Upgrade, or buy entirely new---Budget wise, and how well you have bonded with your present machine, and is it worth keeping. I'm not sorry I installed the Intellistitch as I enjoyed it very much. Also the Edgerider wheels rocked!

Mamu: Helen and Tony installed my stitch regulator just as they did Angie's.

It sounds like your machine might need adjusting. If you have the Intellistitch owners manual, go the adjustment section and run the adjustment protocols and make sure that the regulator is working properly. Then carefully watch both encoders and make sure the wheels are making constant contact as you move the machine. Pay special attention to the one that runs on the table edge. Also take a look at the encoders and make sure there are no threads, or other dirt "gumming" up the works.

If you don't have and operators manual, go to Intellistitch's web site. All the instructions are there. The only benefit a newer machine would have over the one you already have, is the roller configuration of the table. If you are happy with the roller set up, there's no need for a newer machine. If you're not, maybe just a newer table would take care of your needs. Regards. Jim P.S. the "S" setting on the regulator is not really stitch length regulated as I understand it. The fact that it works while the other settings (B1-12spi) don't, suggests that the encoders are not registering properly. Give them a hard look. Check to see if the regulator regulates the stitch length in one direction (vertical or horizontal). If one seems to work, the problem would be with the other. Good luck

Hi Marcia,

I vote for the Lucey head on your existing table. Lucey is stitch regulated, you could have Bliss included if you chose.

Not knowing my Iowa geography as I should, I don't know where you are located and where the APQS factory is, but I bet it would be worth a road trip to the factory to talk to Mark, Heidi, Dawn or the rest of the wonderful group and get all the pertinent information. They'd be able to talk to you about pros and cons of Intellistitch, and costs for the upgrade.

Let us know what you decide.

• 5 months later...

I sure have enjoyed your picture trail. This is the best pictures of the Ult II that I have found anywhere.

It looks like we have our table set up right. I will try loading a practice piece Monday.

You have some very beautiful quilts. Hope I can get half as good as you.

Thanks Shirley

Marcia, I can't speak directly to to the Ultimate 1 to Lucy transition, but I did the Ultimate II to Lenni transition this last fall. I would have gone Lucy but I didn't have the space in my sewing room (Its really crowded in there and my belly bar bumps up against my sewing desk now, so I couldn't accomodate an additional six inches of bar space).

I had thought about having the sr added to my Ultimate 1, and decided to go with the new Lenni instead. Mainly because by purchasing the Lenni I was under warranty for 8 years. I also could have used my old table.....but opted for the new one, and I really like the leveler bar. The quilt sandwich is always level, and I have fewer issues with tension.

I did have a learning curve going from Manual to SR, mainly just me learning the new sounds. The SR alert drove me crazy the first couple of weeks :), but thats a saftey issue I quickly learned was needed. Lenni and I also had to learn a new dance when I was in SR mode, because if you are going to fast or slow, the machine will howl at you.

I can tell you that I do not regret going to the Lenni upgrade one bit. I have beautiful stitches and beautiful points. I'm also learning to free motion quilt (baby steps, I panto'd for 8 years) with the SR it gives me time to think.

I would say that it would be worth the drive to Des Moines to play on Lucy at the showroom, just make sure to call before you make the trip. The gang is on the road again and sometimes the showroom is closed for lunch or install.

Hello, another newbie here. Just took delivery on my Lucey/Bliss in December. Purchased her at the Houston show primarily because of the larger quilting throat/affordability. Set up was so easy for DH, but She just barely fits into the spare bedroom. In the practice mode now, looking forward to many hours of quilting "bliss" and to post my first finished quilt completely pieced/quilted by me. Read the forum daily and also have not seen too much about the Lucey, but understand She is relatively new. Would love to read comments from other Lucey owners.

TSpringer

Archived