leader grips

Hi Marsha (nice name!) I just ordered the Leader Grips but only the snap on covers. I had researched the Red Snappers as well but many reviews said they were somewhat harder to snap on. I have problems with my wrists, so I didn't want to chance flaring them up more. I only ordered the clear cover part of the Leader Grips, and DH and I are going to purchase a more flexible tubing than the dowels they offer. Cost wise, by the time you do shipping on either of them they really are not that far off in price. This is just my opinion but having just ordered mine yesterday I thought I'd give you my one cent's worth that swayed my decision. Either would be a great addition, I am sure, because they sure beat the heck out of getting poked with pins! And I don't own zippers so haven't experience there - others sure do like the zippers.

Happy Quilting!

Marcia

Ultimate I 'Mizz Mona'

I have the zippers and absolutely love them. They are quick and easy to load, and you can pin or baste to them. My domestic machine has a basting stitch that will make stitches up to an inch long. I usually set it at about 3/8" and baste the backing and the bottom of the quilt top. You can check them out at the site below.

http://stores.longarmconnection.com/StoreFront.bok

I had the Red Snappers, but found I didn't care for them as much as just pinning or basting directly on to the zippered leaders...........THOSE zippered leaders are the best. I have back trouble, so I can sit at the table and pin/baste my quilt backs/tops to the zippers, then take them to the machine and zip on. So much easier than standing at the machine doing it. The Red Snappers did work well and were easy to use, but for me, I just prefer the pinning directly to the leaders............:)

I have Leadergrips. I love them I no longer bleed onto my leaders. However a downside is if you don't allow for enough extra yardage you will bump into them with your machine on the top of the quilt. I only leader grip the backing then baste on the batt and top to the back so I have never had a hard time snapping them in.

It probably like buying a car; when looking all choices are hard but as soon as you purcahse the "one" it IS the best car.

Melora

Love! my zippers, I have several sets. I tried out the red snappers at a booth at MQS. I have some hand issues due to some nerve damage and could not work the red snappers. They seem like a great idea but not for me.

The thing I really like about the zippers is that once a quilt is stabalized you can unzip and put another on. I keep a couple of practice quilts on zippers. This last custom quilt I did was pinned directly and not able to zip off (my zippers were busy). I wished it was unzippable cause I was stuck for a few days on a design issue. I could have unzipped and done the next one which was a quickie baby size with a panto while I was searching for a solution.

I love my red snappers. I also found that when loading the quilt, if you put one hand next to the bar and allow the snapper to go over your hand they will snap down much easier.

I'm really missing mine, they went with the Utlimate II that I just sold. Waiting for my new ones to arrive so I can get quilting again.

Originally posted by SheriB

I have the zippers WITH the Red Snappers on them! See this thread:

http://apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=28324

That is how I am using them also. Sometimes, I have the need to remove a quilt to do another one then put the first quilt back. At first I took off the zippers, but then thought it might be easier to keep the quilt lined up if I took them off with the zippers, and dont remove the red snappers until I am completely done with the quilt.

Archived