Scrap addiction

Hello, my name is Caren & I'm a scrap addict. LOL It's true. Please tell me I'm not alone. I received 38# of scraps from a friend last week & it was Christmas in August for me! I *try* to balance my studio time between my LA, sewing & cutting up scraps into useful sizes, Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com style. I just cannot help myself. I just LOVE scrap quilts. OK, honestly, I really love all quilts but scraps are my fav. I use EVERYTHING! Every thread, every selvege, every strip in something. Selveges are perfect for waxing my friends eyebrows!

How many of you ladies scrap & how small do you go? Please don't tell me that you throw stuff out, OK? It's like nails on a chalk board to me :D

Cover your ears, Caren, but I do throw away selvedges, threads, and any cuttings less than 1 inch (well actually it gets donated to a lady that makes donatation dog beds). The rest stays here for mini's and scrappies. I feel like I, too, am a scrap addict. I like to keep a printed copy of Bonnie's scrap cutting instructions to ponder for that "someday".;)

Oh Caren I am so glad I am not alone in this habit!!!! I have bags and bags of scraps. I go to yard sales and thrift shops just looking for things to take apart and cut into pieces. I especially like worn flannel shirts! I have friends that quilt and save their scraps for me because they don't want to mess with them. I have the accu cut studio and use it to turn the scraps into quilt pieces. I have so many dresden plate pieces!!!!!! I love scraps.

Guest Linda S

Warning, warning!! I love scraps also and love to make scrap quilts, BUT. . . last year my sister and I made a scrap quilt for our other sister's 60th birthday. I quilted it, and had marked it with blue pen. I had to put it into the washer on cold to get the blue out. Well, the blue came out, but all the reds, yellows, and oranges RAN! My sister had not pre-washed the scraps she used. The quilt was nearly ruined. It must have been washed in Synthrapol and, finally, Retayne, about 15 times before my sister actually received it. It was, however, nice and soft! ;)

post--13461906732276_thumb.jpg

Linda that is the best part about used flannel shirts...they have been washed a lot. They make the softest throws with fleece on the back. Great for men, young and old! I don't ever pre wash my new fabric so I live in fear of my colors running in the first wash.

I have a banker's box of 2-1/2" strips that I keep adding to. I'm going to a retreat in Lake Tahoe at the end of the month and plan on taking this box with me to make at least a couple quilt tops from it. I save other random pieces for applique also. I do not throw anything away. What I do is keep a large garbage bag going of small pieces I would not keep and every couple of months I give the full bag to a lady in my quilt group who takes the scraps and uses them to make dog beds for the local animal shelters.

Guest Linda S

Retayne is a major staple in my laundry room. All fabric comes into the house with me through the garage, which leads to the laundry room and then the kitchen. All new fabric goes in the washer immediately on hot with Retayne. Scraps from friends go in the kitchen, and I'll regularly get out the huge glass baking dish (which I no longer use for baking) and fill it with hot water and Retayne. The scraps go in by color for a soak, then I squeeze them out and throw them in the dryer. I'm not taking chances with my quilts!

Linda do you starch them afterwards? I love working with new fabric before it is washed. I order most of my fabric in 6 or more yard pieces and I sell a lot of it. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to wash it right away. When I get ready to start a quilt I am just too darned impatient to wash it. I know that someday I'll get in trouble for that.

Attention all Scrap Addicts:

Love Caren's post...many of us are scrap addicts. Here is my warning: I was storing some of my scraps in this cute little metal wastebasket from IKEA. DO NOT STORE YOUR SCRAPS IN ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A WASTEBASKET! Helpful husband decided to empty trash from my studio one day and guess what he tossed out? This would probably apply to storing scraps in black garbage bags as well. Of course, I have replenished the bin since...I just don't use the lid anymore :D Nancy in Tucson

post--13461906732408_thumb.jpg

Mrs A that reminds me of when we moved to our new house. I spent 2 days digging and seperating plants at my old house. I had enough to get a good start landscaping at the new place. There were so many I decided to put them into one of those jumbo sized city garbage cans to move. While loading the truck with junk for the dump hubby and his brother decided to take the can and empty it too. 2 days of HARD work.......in the dump.

I love scraps, too! I love Bonnie's designs and have her book on scraps.

Linda, your sister's quilt is beautiful, but what a scare you had with the colors running!

I wash most fabric, but not all. I may get into trouble some day as well.

I equate my fabric "stash" as the same idea as the sour dough bread starter idea. LOL

Mrs. A - that is funny! When the man finally tries to be helpful.... been there done that. Oh the stories we could tell!

I always prewash - everything. Even scraps bags. I love to press and starch fabric. Buy that Best Press stuff by the gallon!

Love that quilt Linda S. I remember when you posted photos of the quilting on it. At least it was VERY clean and soft when you gave it to you sister. Wonderful Gift!

Kay! OMG!!! Are all of those 30 tubs scraps?!?! Wow! You win!!!

As I am cutting a pattern or dress, I have been cutting the leftover scraps immediately. I cut 6", 5", 4" and 2 1/2" pieces. Whatever I can with the leftovers. I then put them in gallon ziplocks. I also cut long strips as small as 1" wide and about 4" long or longer and put them in a plastic bin for later use. One day I will put them together to make a quilt. I also love the scrappy quilt look. I have made 2 twin bedspreads with my scraps. I love it.

post--13461906732945_thumb.jpg

All of my scraps (if it is larger than 1/4 yd I keep it) go into a bin...when it is full I take the whole lot to the sew day group of ladies, dump it out on the table and yell "FEEBIES"... then I stand back and watch the feeding frenzy:P

I just donated a large bag of scraps to a women's shelter. Now don't get me wrong, I love scrappy quilts too. I have half a dozen gallon bags of geese trimmings and other recognizable shapes that I'm planning for a chenille project. Dawn Cavanaugh taught a class where she showed out to make a vest using scraps of fabric, thread, and other embellishments enclosed between two layers of fabric, quilt it in rows, and slashed open. All the scraps etc. sort of hang out which looks quite delightful. Someday...:D

Archived