Pigtail bobbin

I just ordered 2 extra bobbin cases from Bobbin Central but the bobbin cases that came had the pigtail thread guide on top. I use that bobbin case for my industrail Singer 20U zigzag machine. Can I use this for my APQS Millenium too? I don't want to mess up my Millie. Does anyone know?

They are more for machines that have bobbin tension problems. I would send it back. I know you can bypass the pigtail. You just don't loop your thread through it. it's not what you ordered so I would send it back. APQS has what you need.

Hitomi,

You can try the pigtail bobbin if you like. It will provide extra tension on the bobbin so you may need to loosen the bobbin case tension to compensate for it. If you have trouble then order some plain cases from us directly. The pigtail positions the thread directly under the hook retaining finger. The hooks we use in the smart bobbin have a small opening in the raceway on the upper left side to allow the bobbin thread to pass clearly. Some hooks do not have that opening, so they often perform better with pigtail bobbin cases. Hope that helps!

Guest Linda S

A lot of people use pigtail bobbins, especially if they have tension problems. Since the magna bobbins stop the tension problems, I'm surprised they sell that type of bobbin case. Oh well, I guess you can never be too careful. You can use it and just bypass the pigtail.

I have always used a Pig Tail bobbin case because I think it aligns the path of the thread from the bobbin, and helps keep tension more even. I had one on my Ultimate II, and my 2009 Prodigy came with several bobbin cases that have something similar to the pigtail bobbin cases. It's down in the curved out portion of the bobbin case right after the thread slit. I've never seen a bobbin case like this before.

Anything that helps keep the bobbin thread in sync with the top thread is O.K. with me! :) Try your pig tailed case, and maybe you will like it better than the regular case. As long as the needle and top thread clear in the downward swing, it should be fine.

post--13461906763336_thumb.jpg

I tried the pigtail bobbin on my Millie and it actually sewed better than the regular one. It seems to have kept the thread from backlashing and I didn't have as much problems with the tension. I think I will continue to use it. If anyone wants to try it, I bought it from

http://www.bobbincentral.com/Bobbin_Cases_s/168.htm

and they only have the pigtail bobbins. They don't have the regular, but it works great. It keeps the tension right on.

• 8 years later...
On 8/16/2011 at 8:06 PM, iquiltit said:

i broke off the pigtail and was able to use it for my ultimate II Carol

On 8/16/2011 at 8:06 PM, iquiltit said:

i broke off the pigtail and was able to use it for my ultimate II Carol

Do you know why the pigtail breaks off???  I replaced one a couple of weeks ago and it keeps breaking, I checked my tension and I’m still confused on why. 

3 hours ago, Sesilee said:

Does anyone know why the pigtail breaks off??? I check my tension correctly but it breaks. Can anyone help

If I had to guess I would expect it to happen when you stop and start but I’ve never tried one of these cases in any machine.
What machine are you using this bobbin case in?  Maybe you need a backlash spring in this case for the high speed of a commercial machine.  

Just my immediate thoughts

Nigel

I'm quite surprised to hear that the pig tail guide on the bobbin case has been broken.  Something must have hit it.  Or maybe there is a confusion of terms, and what's talked about is the bobbin thread, not the pig tail guide.  At any rate, since the Ult 2 originally came without a pig tail equipped bobbin case, I'd just replace it with the original type.  The broken off pig tail bobbin case might work just fine, but I think  the needle opening for those cases is much larger than the original, and that might lead to other stitching problems.  Jim

• 6 months later...