Tension Troubles

I just finished a Bargello quilt using Superior Metallic on the top and bottom line on the bottom. The top thread looks perfect but the bottom has random spots of railroad tracks throughout the entire quilt. It's not is one particular direction but sporadic. I know it can't be my bobbin thread as it happened with every bobbin. The backing is both batik and cotton and it happened on both fabrics so I have ruled out the backing fabric as well. I used a 4.0 needle because I had some batik on the top as well. Would you say it's a top tension problem or possibly needle flex? Any help would be appreciated. :(

I have frequently used the thread combination you mentioned, Superior metallic on top and Bottom Line on bottom. I do run the metallic with almost no tension, but if you are doing lots of curves and directional changes, it will get confused, and the tension loosens up producing the railroad tracks you described.

I find it best to reduce my speed and keep my movements very steady and consistent. If you are going to do a lot of curved movements, the tension will need to be tightened. Sometimes the metallic slips out of the tensioner, and just needs to be put back in there. Hope that helps a bit.

I feel your pain Bobbie, Been there done that. I have learned to go slowly and to check my tension from time to time when working with this combination. I actually run my metallic thread a bit tighter than most people do and that helps.

After hours of trouble shooting it appears that my bobbin case was creating my problem. All attempts to adjust the top and bottom tension didn't work. I had a second bobbin case and set the tension the same as I had with the original one and like "magic" my problem was solved. I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being pooped with a splitting headache after a long day!

No lint in my bobbin case but there must be a burr or groove that I can't see even with a magnifying glass. I've been using the same bobbin case for almost 8 years and have used a lot of metallic thread so I'm not surprised. I'm glad I had purchased a back up bobbin case some time ago. Thanks for all the help.

Archived