Why is it?

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I don't know if any of the rest of you have this problem. But this happens to me every. single. time.

I can whip a customer's quilt onto the machine and get right down to business. Get the SID going, fill in the elements, roll, roll, roll. Sure if the thread breaks, or something goes wonky, I panic a little.

BUT, when it's my own quilt. It takes me forever to load it, and then I turn into a quivering mass of nerves before I can quilt it. This one is even all marked already - it's not like I'm trying to decide on what to do. I already did it, and already marked it all out. It's going in a show, so I can't use the IQ, because I entered it as hand-guided not knowing my IQ would come as soon as it did. I'm literally sitting here trying to calm my nerves so I can go back upstairs and tackle it. It's all loaded, all squared, waiting for me, and I sit here terrified.

Geez! Am I the only one who does this?

Omg I feel the same way. I have my quilt for our show for March already pieced... two of them..... and the quilting is scaring me to death! I think I just have high expectations for it and want it to be really nice. I quilt my own and then later think,,, I should have or I could have done this. My quilts are ok, but I always look and see the mistakes on my own.

Hey Linda :o) I'm the complete opposite. I've gotten to the point that I can't even enjoy quilting for other's anymore. Just stresses me out! My own quilt, I'm not so picky and stressed. Done is better than perfect on my own. You can quilt 500 perfect beautiful quilts for others, but 1 mistake and your outta business...

Amie

I think we feel this way because this quilt of our own will be with us forever. Any little wonkiness or bobble draws our eye every time. Plus, I always over-think it and then am either paralyzed or second guess the design after quilting. So move over friend and make room in your boat for me!!

I bet you have already jumped in and have it half-done by now! And I know it will be great!!

Guest Linda S

Aw thanks. I've finally gotten underway and it's a lot better than I thought it would be (though not perfect). Those M&M wheels make things so much easier!

post--13461906817148_thumb.jpg

Linda

I was going to suggest the margerita and some chocolate but it looks like you've found the groove!

Getting in to quilting my own quilt reminds me of how long it would take me to get into the pool when we were learning how to swim at school and how, once in it didn't seem so cold. I should just point out that this was in England in an outdoor pool when the air temp was probably only 65F and, if that pool was heated it was still waaaay too cold!

By the way, I love those fabrics - I've been saving some of them for a project for me. Please show us the finished quilt - I want to have a good look at how you used the fabrics as well as to see your lovely quilting.

Put the needle in....................let the stitch regulator chirp..............take a deep breath....................close your eyes...........let out your breath, open your eyes.....................AND GO!!!! Works for me. Sometimes I end up doing something completely different than I planned and cool stuff starts appearing. Don't let any quilt intimidate you! You are a fabulous quilter!!!

Funny you should bring this up. I got a call from a fellow professional quilter a couple of weeks ago. All she needed was a little pep talk and the assurance that this does happen occassionally and she was off and running. Sometimes we just need someone else's voice saying it will be okay!

Guest Linda S

You know - I think it's because the last time I used this stencil (it is a Stencil Company one called "temple"), I had the old wheels on my machine and I kept getting wobbles and it was soooooooo frustrating. I had forgotten how much smoother the M&M Wheels are. Sure, I've made a few mistakes here and there, but it almost seems too simple as I'm quilting this now. I don't know what I was so afraid of. Of course, when I get to my next one, I'll probably freeze up all over again!

Archived