Having such a mental block on this one.....please help me!!!

SandraC

I've been putting off this quilt as long as I can. It's a large, applique quilt, 101 x 101. There are 27 different blocks, three of them quite large, on point, down the middle of the quilt. I've started doing the ditch-work around the applique but am totally stuck on what to do in the background.....cross-hatching is out and we have somewhat decided on echo-ing the applique.....but this just doesn't seem like "it" if you know what I mean??? I would love some ideas. The quilt is called "the Children of Lir" and is beautifully done....lol....so at least I have no "issues" to worry about, I should be thankful of that!

Thanks for looking!

post--13461906786786_thumb.jpg

I think whatever you do, needs to be secondary to the applique'. I would do muted background fills. What do the symbols mean? And what are the Children of Lir? Perhaps if there is room, you could quilt a braid or rope on the outer 1" edge of each block to give it interest.

Thanks for all the ideas! McTavishing is what I had first thought but my client just isn't "seeing" it. We've kind of thought of echoing, just scared of it looking messy if my hand isn't steady enough :o. I think I will give it a try and pick a fill for inside the designs (thanks, Boni!). I've been doing the ditch-work figuring I'd go back to the backgrounds when something comes to me (still waiting :().

Still have time to listen to more ideas. I would like all the other quilting done on this by the end of the day and then tackle the background tomorrow.

Guest Linda S

McTavishing would be cool, but I think echoed swirls in the background would most likely be more appropriate. Spirals and swirls are a big part of Celtic art. I guess McTavishing could be pretty swirly though! :)

Archived