George or Bernina 830??

Milly Young

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Bernina 820 (same as 830 without the embroidery module). I have had nothing but trouble with my machine. I also have the Bernina 440QQE which sews great but using it for quilting, never again. The BSR is ok but not consistant, mine doesn't like the colors red or purple so I can't use it to free motion fabrics or marking pens in those colors. I test drove the George at a quilt show in Chantilly (Washington DC), Pat Sloan made me do it!!! George is totally different then the DSM, it's an industrial machine. I found that even though it doesn't have the stitch regulator, it's stitches are very uniform and easy to use. I now wish that I had a "George" for those smaller projects vice putting them on my Millie. I do feel a George in my future, if I ever get a bigger house.:cool:

Connie, Thank you for that info. Others too have said the 830 and 820's have been problematic. I didn't know that. I have a Berninia 450. The BSR iintially did not work right and They gave me another and I have to say it works like a charm. For me its giving up on my big Milli ad getting a George or putting the Milli on a smaller table/rack. The problem is we're moving (our house just went under a solid contract and we have to go a find a house in Sante Fe NM real quick the closing is Nov. 18. YIKES), and I anticipate a smaller work room. I make a lot of King Size quilts as well as gettting into more and more art quilts. The kings will be hard to do on a smaller Milli or a George.

I'm confused and excited in Maine-Milly

Milly, I think there will be a difference in your quilts with George from your milli. The George quilts won't be held taut when you are working on them like the ones on a frame, so the fabric tension/pucker/tuck features will need to be worked with. Since you haven't found "the" house yet, maybe you will find one with the LR and a family room and you can claim the biggest one for Milly, then problem solved--except for the packing, moving, and unpacking.

I hope you find things quickly that are just what you need. George will be a great machine if you decide that is the way to go.

Milly, for your info, I have a 10FT table on my "Gator" which allows me to do quilts 100inches and less. I have it in what was my "guest bedroom. I'm not sure of the room size but if you like I can measure it? I think that's a large Queen. If possible, I would keep your Millie. George is a super great machine but a whole different world of quilting.

Connie- What's a Gator? We're trying to down size so finding a home with a LR and Family room is difficult. Right now I'm lookig for large guest rooms. I'm leaning to keeping my Milli and putting it on a smaller rack. ( I've always called it a "rack" because I've suffered alot of torture there working on my quilts.) My Milli is a 12 ft. 2004 with electronic quilt up take and SR. I bought Circle Lord last year and boards and have never installed it. (This has been a busy and difficult year and I haven't done much quilting. With the sale of the house and moving that will change). What Milli upgrades would you put on? I don't think I'm interested in making it computerized. Bliss?

• 1 year later...

Archived