crosshatching

perhaps a silly question,but how do you crosshatch a quilt? I have seen pictures of quilts with crosshatches, that seemed to have been quilted diagonally, but that was not the issue: a picture of a crosshatched quilt still on the frame gave me the question, how it is done.

Crosshatches should be done from side to side, and no stopping in the middle to roll the bars further, I think. I even thought of setting the quilt diagonally, to quilt 'horizontal', but I don't think if this is a proper way.

Can anyone explain the crosshatching to me?

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

I got a large ruler with my Gammill that you secure under the pickup roller and you can position it any way your want from verticle to other diangonal settings. I watched the demo DVD that came with my machine that shows how to use it but I have not really tried to actually do it on a quilt although one day I played with it. I would assume that the tool either comes with other brands (well a variation of it) or that you can purchase one made for your brand of machine.

Hopefullys someone else will share more details as I would like to hear more about this topic myself.

Guys there are a number of ways to crosshatch and I don't know how effective it would be to try to write about all of them. This is an area where a class would really pay off. Teachers here is where you provide info.

Chalk a grid (diagonally) on the quilt top and use a ruler to keep it straight. You would follow a line as far as you could go without advancing the quilt then at an intersection turn and go back down (or up) zig zagging across the quilt until that section is done. Advance and work on another section. Then you start a line until you come to the corner from before tought the corner and turn and contiune. I always thing of pool balls hitting the side or another ball and going in another direction. I make my turns in alternating "heights" so am not making a bottom edge. I think it makes the advances less noticeable. The point is to make the corner connections as accurate as possible so it does look like one continuous line going across the quilt.

You could do this sort of thing with the Hartley fence and making careful measurements as you proceed. Truly I need a class in the Hartley Fence myself as I have it and find it too slow.

You can use the piecing as your grid if it is fairly even.

Rulers with parallel lines can be used to make even squares ( most have a 45 degree angle to set and keep the angle constant).

Products like Quilt EZ and I'm guessing Circle Lord have set ups for crosshatching too.

There are even more ways that others will add too and we all have little ways that appeal to each of us and you will find yours too.

I have done diagonal crosshatching with the Hartly fence, moving the fence the exact distance using the ruler on the back of my millenium. I go across one direction, then change the fence to the other direction and sew the other way. It is easy to do and looks very nice.

I 've done circles with the HF, too and they look wonderful.

I would use the horizontal and vertical locks if I wanted to crosshatch that way. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Evelyn - I just glanced at your location and thought you were just down

the road from me, until I saw the state! Amboy, MN is about 30 miles from

me!!

Here is a photo of little 1/2" crosshatching. I just used my ruler to do the

whole thing. This is a little wall hanging of mine. I lined-up the ruler with

the 45 degree mark on the line/edge of the inner border, and just moved

it down as I went. If you use a really fine thread, like Bottom Line you can

do some back-tracking if you need to and it will not really show if you stay

right on your previous line of stitching. Just have fun with it!!

Linda - well it is only that big! 2 flowers by 3 flowers. I did have some

problems..... with the trapunto being so puffy - I had a couple of puckers in

my Mctavishing. I had gone around the square first to keep them nice and

square - but then when I went to sew in the petals afterwards - it made

BAD puckers!! So I did that all by hand and sewed on the black seed beads

in all of the centers. I used that striped fabric for my binding - another

problem!! I only had a 1/2 yard - so every 13" I had a seam so that I could

match up the stripes.... fussy I know. But it worked out great!

I have even done 1/4" cross hatching inside of corner motifs - silly I know -

but I LOVE the stuff!

Judy, your quilt looks wonderful. The corsshatching you did too, and I see that doing small parts like borders etc. is ok, but when I would like to crosshatch an entire quilt at once, I still think it would be the niced quilting to do in one row, and not in pieces - thank you Sue, for your information, but work with varietated threads often, and it is hard to match not the front colors, but the back, when stopping for rolling the quilt further, and starting again at that point. On the top of the quilt the threads can be matched by pulling the topthread until the right color appears, but the thread on the back - always the same thread I use, so also variegated - which means there the stops and goes will show....

I will reviece the Circle Lord in a couple of days, and I should be able to cross hatch with this divice, but still I wonder if the quilt should be mounted sideways - diagonal - to make horizontal lines first, and the vertical lines after mounting it up in the other direction - I should add false pieces as triangular corners first, to make the quilt square again, and working this way.

Has anybody tried crosshatching a quilt this way? Is this impossible, because of the diagonal line up of the quilt?

I hope to hear if my idea is ok, or just bad to use...

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Hello Sylvia,

I fear the quilt could get distorted if loaded it on point to quilt the diagonals horizontally.

I Know that it is possible to load a quilt on point in order to quilt a center Medallion or something like that, but only after the quilt has been stabilized by basting it horizontally& vertically.

Good luck,

Marie-Christine

Archived