The Bane of my Existence - Pics on Pg. 2

Why is it that just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water, you find out it isn't (Jaws reference there for any of you that didn't see the movie;))

The large log cabin I've been working on for days should be done. I should be pulling it off the frame, trimming the quilt, preparing the bill and calling the owner. Instead, when I turned it over, what did I see?? A whole section with railroad tracks glaring at me, mocking me, making fun of me. :o:o

So now I'm whining for you all to hear...and now I'm going back out to the yurt to continue frogging:(

Guest Linda S

Oh Dory, I'm so sorry. That's one of the big reasons I now use the magna glide bobbins. It's very rare for me to have those railroad tracks now.

Oh, I feel your pain!!!

I'm trying to take out crappy embroidery on fleece. I was trying to write my new great nephew's name, DOB, etc on some fleece that I wanted to quilt to a cute print for the front. Well, now it will be much smaller than originally planned, as I'm not wasting the whole piece of fleece. He is tiny, so he really didn't need the 58" wide by a yard a a half long, now did he? :P

I read on another site that the person did not like weeding until she thought of it as a time to think and reflect. Do you think we can think of "frogging" as a peaceful reflecting time??? Well we might have to edit some of our thoughts. :P:P

Sorry Dory, hope it goes quickly.

OMG... that just happened to me, thank goodness it was my own quilt and so it wasn't something that I was under a time limit to fix. But it was really frustrating to think that everything was going so well and then find out that you really had problems on the backside that you were not aware of. I tested for tension prior to quilting too...and I used magna bobbins...so, I really don't know what went wrong.:mad:

So sorry, Dory. I know there was an earlier post but I don't remember who it was, where they were quilting along and the machine just didn't feel right and was kind of pulling. I think the author of the post was telling us "if something doesn't feel right or sound right, there's probably something wrong" so stop and check the back, etc. I know I had just read that post and went to quilting that day and did not heed her warning, and I got to frog a whole row because of it. In my case (and I think in hers if I remember right) the thread did not get pulled all the way through the little notch on the bobbin case when I put it back in the machine. Could it have been one bobbin's worth of quilting that did that in your case, and then you corrected the problem by pulling the thread through the notch on the next bobbin loaded? Just a thought.

Well, 11:30 and I'm done frogging! Thank goodness it was RR track stitches; I hate to think how long it would have taken me otherwise (shudder). I'm thinking several things could have caused this and I'm currently thinking that the most likely culprit is heat. I know that sounds weird, but I believe when I was stitching that part it was incredibly hot in the yurt...like 90+. I'm wondering if the heat from the machine, the heat from the temp and the heat from sewing friction may have caused the bobbin tension to loosen? Okay, so maybe I'm grasping at straws, but the entire rest of the quilt has absolutely perfect tension.

Regarding magna-glides; I use them and like them. However, the last time I used them, the tension wasn't perfect then either. How loose do you guys set your bobbins when you use them? I couldn't keep from having little bobbin-heads:P popping up on top.

Originally posted by DoryJM

......I'm wondering if the heat ...........may have caused the bobbin tension to loosen?

Absolutely very very very possible! Metal expands in heat and shrinks in colder temps.

I try to "drop test" my bobbins with every fill and adjust my bobbin tension as necessary. Just a habit I got into a long time ago. I also blow out and (sometimes if needed) use my precision oil drop bottle to drip a little oil drop in there, too.

Oh and I don't have the magna glides. I'm old fashioned and wind my own. :)

Dory,

The same thing happened to me. I was quilting a charity quilt with an easy "loop de loop" pattern. It should have been quick and easy, right? First, I blew a fuse and didn't have any more and had to order some. After I got them in the mail, I finished the quilting, but as I was taking it off the frame, I noticed some railroad tracks on the back, smack in the middle of the quilt. They were easy to frog, but I have spent way too much time on this "freebie" than I had intended to. Oh, well, live and learn, I guess.

Archived