The Bane of my Existence - Pics on Pg. 2

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by DoryJM

......I'm wondering if the heat ...........may have caused the bobbin tension to loosen?

Absolutely very very very possible! Metal expands in heat and shrinks in colder temps.

I try to "drop test" my bobbins with every fill and adjust my bobbin tension as necessary. Just a habit I got into a long time ago. I also blow out and (sometimes if needed) use my precision oil drop bottle to drip a little oil drop in there, too.

Oh and I don't have the magna glides. I'm old fashioned and wind my own. :)

I check my tension on every bobbin as well--prewounds, I may be old fashioned, but I'm lazy!! :P I obviously screwed up with this one. Back out to re-sew now...I'll be so glad when this quilt goes home.

G-r-o-a-n. Tension problems are unnerving. And when you have to frog, that's time-consuming but

then you also have to quilt that row again. (sigh).

When I have thread problem with my quilts:

-if the problem is on the back of the quilt, then my top tension is usually not right.

-if the front of the quilt is boogered, then the bobbin tension is usually too loose/too tight. It's the

opposite of what you might think. That's the way I learned it.

My biggest problem is when I change top threads, I sometimes forget to check that the

new thread is inside the tension disks instead of 'riding' on the outside.

I hope that you will post a photo of your quilt, Dory. Log cabins are classics.

I just finished (actually a bit ago since we've been out feeding and petting pones), and I just say that I'm thrilled that "re"-sewing is so much faster than "un"-sewing!:P:D

Best compliment though...as I was taking it off the frame, Dennis looked over and then came over and looked closer. He say, in his opinion, its one of the best quilts I've ever done. Now let's hope the customer feels the same way. Pic soon...I'm in doing the bill now.

Originally posted by Della

What is a yurt?

Della, my studio is in a yurt. Its a round "building." If you go to my blog and search for "yurt," you'll find several entries with pics. I absolutely LOVE it...except for the middle of the day in the summer.

Guest Linda S

Very pretty! I keep my bobbins set at about 20-25. Even with the magna glides, I check each and every one. Sometimes I think it just depends on the way I breathe when I put the bobbin in the case! But, as long as I keep the tension in that range and am not afraid to adjust my top tension, I have no problems. I do keep a little basket of scraps available near the machine and will stitch one down on the left side of the quilt where I (hopefully) have extra backing and batting. I do a test run of tight loops and spikey points. I can tell from that whether I'll have any problems. As long as I adjust the tension there and don't change the threads I'm using throughout the quilt, I'm fine. If I change to a different sort of thread, I stitch on another patch and test.

Archived