Thread Question

I normally buy my thread in the 5500 yard cone size, but after reading the rave reviews of the Metro Thread on this forum, I ordered a box of the mini spools to try them. They are 1100 yards each.

My question is this - would a mini spool be enough to quilt a king size quilt with a fairly open panto? I'm only talking top thread as I would use a different colour in the bobbin.

Hi Irene,

The only way I could figure that--since I use pre-wound bobbins--is to compare the amount of bobbin thread used in a King size quilt. BL pre-wounds have about 100 yards per bobbin and your top thread usage will be comparable.

If you think your panto will take fewer than 11 of these bobbins, then you should have enough. I have done some dense quilting on a King and used 9 bobbins, so you may be OK.

Keep them on speed dial though, if you need a quick re-order of that color!

Thanks everyone. I never thought about equating it to the bobbin thread. I usually use Super Bobs and I can't imagine it taking more than 10 of those. I did another King earlier in the year and I think it only took 8 bobbins and it was fairly dense.

You guys are the best - I can always get a quick answer to my questions!;)

I am trying to figure out which type of thread I want to start using. I have heard that king tut is hard to use and even though I have not used any yet I haven't used anything but 100% cotton on top and in the bobbin. Sometimes it is nice to not know better and not know that you are supposed to run one thing in the bobbin and another on top. I would like to try some matalics and I want to do a quilt with the glow in the dark thread and what about the ribbon thread that Superior has on their website? Can that be ran throught the tension and needle? Or what do you do with it? If it can my mom is making a fairy quilt for my DGD and I think I will try to use the ribbon on it and I will do a little matalic on it as well. I really am just trying to figure it all out and so far just hitting and missing.

Originally posted by Quilting Grammy

I am trying to figure out which type of thread I want to start using. I have heard that king tut is hard to use and even though I have not used any yet I haven't used anything but 100% cotton on top and in the bobbin. Sometimes it is nice to not know better and not know that you are supposed to run one thing in the bobbin and another on top. I would like to try some matalics and I want to do a quilt with the glow in the dark thread and what about the ribbon thread that Superior has on their website? Can that be ran throught the tension and needle? Or what do you do with it? If it can my mom is making a fairy quilt for my DGD and I think I will try to use the ribbon on it and I will do a little matalic on it as well. I really am just trying to figure it all out and so far just hitting and missing.

Hitting and missing is great--that's the learning curve and you will find which thread your specific machine likes. If you want to flatten that curve a bit, go to the Superior Threads site and find their chart that shows the thread combos and the needle/tension recommendations for specific threads. It eases frustration to have someplace to start with each type of thread.

Don't forget that poly threads are wonderful to quilt with--great range of colors and sizes not to mention degrees of shine. I seldom use King Tut anymore except when I want the thread to really show. It is beautiful thread, though.

Metallics and ribbon threads can be run with extra care. Do an archive search here for both types to see solutions to the challenges with these threads. If you have constant breakage with fussy threads, run those with Monolon or Monopoly invisible thread added to take the strain off the weaker ones.

If you fall in love with a thread and want to use it--like a fuzzy or ribbony one--couch it instead of stitching with it. Lay it on the line you want to stitch and use invisible thread to zig-zag over it with the longarm. It works well and uses lots less thread--and a lot fewer tears of frustration.

Linda

Thank You very much this helps a lot. I have been to the Superior site several times and just leave and don't buy anything because I can't make a desition I guess I just need to buy some neutrials and go with it. I am an over thinker when it comes to buying things like this. :( And since I have never turned down a challlenge I think I am going to go all out and buy some ribbon thread and call it Christmas!!!:P

I think superior has sampler packs I've seen something like that in their warehouse. Yes if in St. George UT you can shop in their warehouse. But be warned, don't get a little basket get a big one. I'll look next time I'm down there, but I know I seen something like that that had an assortment of their threads, just small spools, but you could play with them and see what your machine likes.

Archived