Wool Batting

I used Hobbs wool for many years, and just switched over to Quilters Dream wool this year. Actually, now that I've tried them both, I view them as two different products and I can use them both in different ways. Both are high quality. Here's my assessment:

Hobbs wool: Thin, 1/4" inch batt, difficult to quilt with, unless partnered with a stabilizing batt (double batt, with wool on top)

Quilters Dream wool: Thick, gorgeous batt. Probably 3/4" thick with a soft luxurious drape. No problem quilting on the long arm as a single batt. Cadillac batt.

While I love the QD wool batt as a single batt, it is too thick to use in a double batt scenario, where you have a stabilizing batt on the bottom and use wool on top for loft; Hobbs wool would be preferable in this case -- This is often done for shows. For my own functional use, as in a master bedroom quilt, the QD batt would be wonderful.

This is great information, Joan! I recently bought a Hobbs wool batt and I was surprised when I pulled it out of the package. I have always used Quilters Dream in the past. I think I will double batt the quilt for which I intended to use the Hobbs, as it will eventually hang in my living room. Thanks!

For bed quilts I much prefer the QD. It is easy to load and doesn't tear apart; it drops the folds after you unfold it without any effort; I just had to launder my kingsize batik quilt after the cat threw up on it. The quilt came out perfectly. Since it was a kingsize I took it to the laundrette - washed on the coolest setting - warm at my launderette, partially tumble dried and then airdried. No shrinkage and it doesn't have that antique crumpled look which I did not want on batik anyway. I loooove QD wool.

My personal experience is the Hobbs Heirloom wool is a bit more lofty than the Tuscany Wool. I haven't had any trouble quilting either one. I also love the look of layering batting with the wool on top! Beautiful definition and the bottom layer of batting( my preference is Hobbs cotton w/ scrim) holds all the loft to the top of the quilt for even more lofty definition. When using the cotton w/ scrim on the bottom it is perfect for hanging as the scrim won't sag over time and blocks perfectly! I haven't had the opportunity to try Dream Wool so don't have any comparison to offer. Those of you that have tried it would you call it 1/2" loft or more?

My personal favorite for my own quilts is QD wool. I also like both the Hobbs washable (heirloom) and the tuscany. Resently, I bought Legacy (by Pellon) wool. I do like it as well, although is is thinner than any of the others. I was pleasantly surprised by the quilting definition it gave. It was much better than I expected from the feel of the batting. I would definately use it over another batt on a show quilt.

I love wool batting but sell very little in my shop because it is so expensive. The roll I have in the shop is 2 years old. Got it out to sell some to a customer and Aaargh! it was full of holes and moths flew out around the room !

I shall now use it for practise or a quilt of my own which doesn't matter too much. I will be cutting it up and putting it in the freezer to kill the little beggars.

I don't think the moths are too fussy about which brand of batting they eat.

I like the QD wool. It's wonderful used on top of hobbs 80/20 for faux trapunto, has a nice loft when used by itself when doing heavy custom work, and recently I even ripped the top half off and used it over 80/20. The full loft would have been too much but half was perfect under this particular quilt.

Jess

Archived