Blue & Yellow Floral with Q. Instructions Added

Back - I absolutely love the wide backs; they eliminate so many puckering problems. Although the quilt top is very busy with fabrics, I decided to put a lot of time into custom. The customer is a friend and this is only her second quilt (for her guest bedroom). She is more into rug-hooking and this is only her second quilt in 6 years, so since she can afford it and would appreciate it, I decided to go custom. That is a long way of saying, thank goodness for the wide, plain back, because the custom quilting does show here and she could use it as a wholecloth.

post--13461906832027_thumb.jpg

Large Floral Block -- I have done one of these quilt patterns before, and did a 'Designs with Lines' type of floral, which the customer raved about, so I decided to do it on this quilt too. Now that I have my Quiltazoid, I was also able to add concentric circles, which I thought gave more interest.

post--13461906832231_thumb.jpg

Medium Floral -- I thought the continuous curve (CC) gave the flower petals a lot of personality here. I matched the thread color to the blue, since this quilt does not need more business! I chose King Tut thread, as it is thicker and coarser and showed up the best. I use it a lot, but still struggled with the tension, as it needs to be REALLY tight.

post--13461906832444_thumb.jpg

Border -- I originally was going to do a scollwork leaf design on the setting triangles, until I noticed that the leaves in the fabric were plainer. So I modeled the twig with leaves design after the fabric, and again used a blue thread to match the fabric.

I love the yellowish floral on the inner border, and was going to do an involved buttercup with loops quilting design. However, after practicing a long time and still not getting it, I decided to go easy on myself and did swirling vines, instead, which actually looks better because the long, large quilting lines stand out against the busy fabric.

I did bead board on the border, after reading about it so much on the Forum. I did two borders with my Quiltzoid and it turns out so nice. But on the far left border, I have very little room to set up the QZ (any suggestions here?) so I eyeballed it. On the last border, I got impatient and eyeballed it too. :cool:

post--13461906832653_thumb.jpg

Joan,

Thanks for the tutorial. It's really helpful. I've found with the quiltazoid, that I need to put the short end of the quilt on the frame so I can use the quiltazoid. I've had to move the quilt every two inches when I've forgotten, just to get my crosshatching done. It was a pain, but lesson learned. However, if it's a King eyeballing it works well. That's why I wished I had enough room for the 14 foot frame.

The back really shows your quilting. It's just stunning.

I love the way this quilt looks. I would have looked at the top and suggested a nice pantgraph, never thinking about custom on it.

As far as running out of room...yes, I have that problem. My frame in only 11 feet long and quite a few times I've had to turn my quilt to move the top to the bottom so I could get to the side I couldn't work with. I just accept it, and do it, but if I had the room, I would probably gone for the 14' frame and not had to spend the extra time doing this.

Archived