Rulermate Question

LadyLake

I bought a Rulermate, but haven't installed it yet. I'm hesitant because I'm wondering if the thread fuzz gets caught up inside it, and if it would be a pain unscrewing it to clean. Does anyone have this problem or is it not a problem?

Also, even though the surface is nice and flat, it isn't as large as the Hartley extended base -- has anyone that went to Rulermate from Hartley missed the extra inches of flat surface?

I know that I should just install it and try it out, but I might return it, depending on your answers. Thanks for the info!

Joan-

I have the RulerMate & have never had a problem! I leave it on all the time. I simply clean it with the soft vacumm brush as I do the entire machine after each quilt. Now keep in mind that I do not use my LA as quite as much as everone else. I LOVE my ruler mate!

Post # 998! 2 to go :cool::cool:

I have both the Ruler Mate and the Hartler base. I prefer the Ruler Mate, and leave it on most of the time. I do take it off when I do pantos or pattern boards because it doesn't fit under my rail when a quilt is on it, and so I get more space by switching to the original small plate. I know I could try raising my bar, but I use these times to remove the plate and do a good cleaning with WD-40 and oil. If I'm doing an (almost) all-over, but want to SID the border to do a different design there, I will just pop on the Hartley Base. I use both, and found a place for both in my quilting style. I find the Ruler Mate to be more stable...by far. I would definately use it if I was doing a custom quilt with lots of ruler work. I don't mind removing the 2 screws to change out the base I am using.

I leave my Ruler Mate on all the time, only taking it off when I clean under it. I might have lost a little quilting space, but not enough to make a difference to me. I had been using the Hartley before, and I found I like the Ruler Mate much better - greater stability and more accurate ruler work for me.

Like Louise, I leave my Ruler Mate on all the time, only taking it off when I clean, and you must do that as your regular cleaning maintenance routine. It just takes a few minutes to remove, clean underneath, blow out thread cutter, and then do the blow out, wd40 and oil routine to the bobbin assy while you're at it. It is quick to reinstall; I just lower the needle in the hole, center as best I can and tighten down the screws.

PS I raised both ends of my front roller bar an inch so it doesn't bump into the rulermate.

Guest Linda S

Yep - I leave mine on all the time too. I had a Hartley base and it fell off all the time. I don't use a lot of linty thread, so I don't need to clean under it all that often. Generally I'll do it every week if I've been doing a lot of quilts, or every other week when I've not been that busy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Hartley base, and find it to be nice and stable. I have raised the bars so it fits under nicely. I personally like to take the base off and on during the course of a quilt and the Hartley can be removed and re-installed easily. I guess if you are unhappy with the Hartley for some reason, Ruler Mate is an option.

Originally posted by chermitch

Does anyone know if this Rulermate fits the Sharon Shambers Prodigy?

I checked Donita Reeve's website www.lovetoquilt.com

and don't see the Prodigy listed for the Rulermate, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask if they plan to make one for the Prodigy in the future.

Archived