How Many Wide Side Clamps to Buy

Like Heidi, I use the Grip Lite clamps. I have a 24" long arm. I have two sets. I've had a variety of side tension clamps over the years---and I think these are the very best ever!

The are light weight, so no "downward" pull on you backing fabric.

Once they grip even the smallest amount of fabric---and I mean even a 1/4" of an inch of the backing, they hold on tightly.

They are easy to open and shut.

I have black, but would have preferred the red! :)

Originally posted by SheriB

I have the Red-E Edge clamps from Renae Haddaden.

http://www.quiltsonthecorner.com/inc/sdetail/204/8118

They are $25 a set, and even tho I have a millennium, I chose the 12" ones so I could move my quilt back and forth on the frame if needed, without compromising the tight fit of those suckers.

LOVE them!

I have the 20" Red-E edge clamps...wish I had thought to get the 12" clamps instead. But I do love them, they hold the quilt edges nice and tight!

I'm using the OXO Good Grip chip clip. Shannon (Doodlebug) reported on her success with them, and I've been using them for 6 months now and love them. Two clips per side, total cost approx. $13 with tax. The smaller size, about 5-1/2" each, works well when at the end of the quilt and there isn't room for a big clamp. At least for me and the way that I quilt, works well. :) Here's a previous thread on the subject:

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=26531&page=1#pid334518

I've been using the Oxo clips for a year now, and love them. DH just took off the original clamps, got some bigger washers, and attached the Oxos the same way the original clamps had been attached. Took about 10 minutes to do the set, and was really inexpensive.

• 1 month later...

I too have the red E-edge clamps. Love the way the hold the entire quilting space with even tension. My only problem, and it's a problem no matter what type clamps I use, is that the Hartley base runs into them and the quilting gets jammed. I have to lift the clamp up, and then continue quilting. It makes a slight wobble each time. Anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Originally posted by quilted charm

I too have the red E-edge clamps. Love the way the hold the entire quilting space with even tension. My only problem, and it's a problem no matter what type clamps I use, is that the Hartley base runs into them and the quilting gets jammed. I have to lift the clamp up, and then continue quilting. It makes a slight wobble each time. Anyone have any solutions to this problem?

I picked up some super cheap curtain rods from home depot (they were about $4 each) - the kind that's lightweight metal and curved at both ends. They're just big enough to hook over the top roller and the leveler bar, and when you position them correctly, they bring the clamps (any clamps) up just high enough to not run into the base.

They work just like the side clamp supports from hartley seen on this page - http://apqs.com/supplies_hartley.php?p=3

Originally used the Grip Lites, great clamps. You'll need two sets.

Now have the OXO potatoe chip bag clamps, work even better and cheaper.

Looking at getting the Red-E Edge clamps from Renae Haddaden. Heard nothing but good things about them. You do have to work then to loosen up. Love her Red Snappers, no more pins.

I just got the Leader Grips from company with the same name!! A friend uses them and they are terrific so I got mine at Quilting with Machines in Huron Ohio last week!! I have to put a pocket in my leaders yet and I think I'll replace the old machine leaders while I'm at it. My Mille table and leaders are almost 10 years old!!! My philosophy is if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! They also have side grippers that look like they will be great. I like how they hold the whole length of the side evenly not just where the clamps are.

Archived