quilt find from my sister

My sister is getting ready to sell her house and found some quilts, tops, and quilt patterns in a cedar chest belonging to her husband's family. She wondered if I was interested in them. This is the only one she showed me so far. Doesn't it have great spaces to really play with designs?

So what suggestions are out there for it?

Need to resize her pic. back in a minute.

post--13461906892466_thumb.jpg

No expert here, but here's what I see. Divide the larger triangles into smaller ones. Put a feather wreath or other motif in the center, then feathers around that to fill the rest of the area.

I expect someone else will be along soon with more ideas. I'm sure it will be gorgeous no matter how you quilt it.

Wow, what a find!

My first thought on viewing is that this giant needs some serious starch and steam to make it nice and flat. I am eyeballing the fabric around all the HSTs and I would treat it before it gets loaded.

Second things I noticed were the great fabric colors--mint green, cream, and baby pink---aahhhh..... So soothing and perfect for a cottage bedroom. Because of the great expanses of quilting area and the feel (aura?) of the top, feathers would of course be my first thought along with some straight-line work to corral the quilting into sections. If you have a rose stencil large enough to be in scale with the large pieces, stitch it in the corners and either crosshatch behind or quilt a circle around the flowers and feather around them.

The advice to divide the triangles into smaller areas is perfect. Take a pic or draft it on graph paper and play with designs.

That is going to be beautiful!

Give it a go! I did one last month with huge empty space and divided and conquered it with feathers. I can see you making a beauty out of this one as well. I cut my blocks into two, but I think this one would need cut into a couple more spaces. If you aren't in a hurry, I'd love to draw up a couple of suggestions for you. I'm heading out of town for a few days but could draw something when I get back.

Here is a quick sketch for you. The bigger the triangle, the more branches. The first inside triangle only has one branch in 1/2 triangle, the next bigger triangle closer to the edge has 2 branches in each side. By the outer humongous triangles, I start doing feathers and swirls that act more like a fill, so you can move them all over the space and fill in as you go and your feathers won't get too long and gangly. I'd put crosshatching in the center curved diamond in the center wreath. The picture is a bit skewed so the triangle designs look a bit goofy as I tried to make things fit, but you can get the idea. The 1/2 square triangles look pretty big so I'd put a swirl in each one of those. I think just cc's wouldn't fill the space well enough. I'd like to try a couple more sketches when I get home from my trip.

Not sure why this showed up as a jpg instead of a picture. I'll work on that later...time to eat.

Archived