Orange Peel Ideas? Done with Photos

Here's a photo of the Orange Peel I did...it was for myself & a show quilt so I may have quilted more densely than you want to do for a customer. There are feathers in the 4 patch units and in some of the longer spires around the border. In the other spikes and spires there are a variety of straight line and curvy lines. Hope this helps.

Nancy in Tucson

post--13461906932003_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all of your ideas, and the photo of your quilt, Nancy. It really helps get my juices going for what to do. I do have a Quiltazoid, and thought I'd do circles, but hadn't considered the spiros -- that's a neat idea, Kristina. I like the curved crosshatch idea, too, Jeanne. I was thinking that the blocks resembled the double wedding ring -- so thank you for the Kimmy Brunner tip. And, Heidi, CC makes a lot of sense for the spikes; the customer is a handquilter and was drawing out some echoing, actually like Nancy did. It looks great, but I'm thinking the CC would work well, too. The customer worked for 10-11 years on piecing the quilt...no pressure! She is willing to pay though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the orange peel quilt. It was good practice for curved crosshatch. I put the Rulermate on my machine, which helped tremendously with stabilizing the ruler, and I put small cork circles on the bottom of Deloa's Boomerang, which she gave me during the Milwaukee Show and prevented the ruler from slipping. It took several trys to get the hang of it, and it's not perfect, but at least I can say that I know how to do curved crosshatch now!

post--13461907004584_thumb.jpg

full view (Quilters Dream wool batt). My customer did an incredible job of understanding value and placing fabrics -- look at all of the secondary designs! She worked on the quilt for over 11 years and is bursting with happiness tonight. She plans to make a pieced binding with all of the fabrics from the center of the quilt.

post--13461907005057_thumb.jpg

Archived